The Terran Alliance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Konstantine, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Submitted for your approval

The place is a mirror universe, similar but not exact to our own. There is no planet Earth instead you have Terra.

Terra had its’ Sparta and Rome, it had its’ Napoleon but it also had something else. In this place, Leonardo DaVincis’ technical drawings were taken seriously and Terra became industrialized much quicker than Earth. By the time Napoleon died, Terrans had put a man in orbit.

There are other subtle differences but the history of Terra mimicked our own culminating in a stage where space technology was a reality and the line between country and corporation was blurred. Things came to a head with the brief faction wars after which there was no victor, all sides agreed to a federal government and representation. One of the conditions of peace however was that no faction could retain a private military and the ultimate result was that the federal military is the actual power behind the scenes.

It’s a very efficient military. But with the recent discovery of faster than light travel, even the military is suddenly unsure.

Terra orbits a miserly red sun and there is nothing else of value in the system. Terras’ sun is located on the southern edge of the galaxy and slightly west. There is an impassable nebula directly North which acts both as a shield and obstacle, 2 un-explored white stars to the East as well as 2 more nebulae on opposite ends of Terras’ periphery.

At present, the military has recovered its’ composure and taken a number of steps. A new frigate design was accepted (for immediate construction) featuring better firepower and defensive capabilities versus the standing forces available.

A research initiative to improve scanner technology was authorized to keep the scientists busy and remote exploration of the Terra sector entered the final phase.

After some time the strategic situation and Terras’ role in it are becoming somewhat clearer

Exploration so far has uncovered nothing encouraging apart from multiple sources of He3. Of concern, the discovery of an entity at a rogue planet we discovered. A wormhole exit on Terras’ eastern periphery will also need attention over time.

On a positive note, the first Terran colony has appeared, it is a dirt world of little value at the moment but does increase the ability of the Navy to field a larger force. An outpost ship is currently under construction and the Navy has added a ship

Research has progressed and the ability to colonize swamp worlds, build underground habitats, and economic capitol have been added.

Overall it seems that there is little value in this area of space and it will take a considerable effort in colonizitation tech research before it can be exploited for minor gains. On the other hand, a focus on logistics offers quicker results but increases the chances of early contact and all that implies

At this point more decisions will need to be made.

Hi all

This is the latest build, “live” as it were. The settings are Impossible, Medium galaxy, 2 AI. This will be a straight single play-through with no reloads allowed except for breaks between sessions.

I’m… you guessed it the humans.

Hope you enjoy

45.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Wodzu

Wodzu Lieutenant

I like it so far, keep us posted Chris :)

3. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

Filthy humans again! :)

Interested to see where this goes. Wonder where the Draguul and Moltar will end up being.

4. Edward the Hun

Edward the Hun Moderator Lieutenant

What's with the human hate? Did we deforest your favourite planet? ;)

5. Konstantine

Hey hey hey oh bearded one. My humans bathe

I haven't found them yet but I'm sure I'll be screwed. I'm on the slum end of the galaxy and they will probably be somewhere near that northern concentration of rich blue and white stars. It may be an account of the difficulty setting

I'll get some turns in before I nod out and write up tomorrow.

P.S.
    Thanks Wodzu

6. Konstantine

Yeak I know, everyone loves the Lava heads and the Lizards.
    I think one makes a nice lava lamp and the other a fine belt or handbag

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Konstantine

Wow, this has got to be the most worthless piece of space I’ve ever explored and quite possibly my worst start ever over the first 100 turns.

The highlight of the early years was T’pring leading a search at Brasbi. The media had a field day when her expedition stumbled on a famous leader missing since the end of the faction wars, after that it was all downhill.

My colony ship is still un-used as there isn’t anything yet to spend it on, though I am hopeful. Terra has grown somewhat and is struggling to get another outpost ship completed to mine some Nuetronium at Klesoark. This will help me tremendously as the system in question is at the extreme end of my logistics, once the outpost is on-line my operational range will increase greatly.

The Navy is small, 5 Frigates in total with one of those carrying missiles.

Research is also slow as the Alliance is a very poor nation with limited industrial capability at this time but military tech at least is adequate and we are mining He3 already
    0100.jpg

8. MizzouRah

MizzouRah Cadet

Here is my first game, 101 turns in. I can't touch those space monsters, but I'm progressing.
    ISGFgame.png

9. Konstantine

Looks cool MizzouRah
    If the game goes long Zrit will really become productive.
    I don't think I ever went 100 turns with only 2 colonies before, your growth is more in pace.
    Edit
    I see you found the lizards too in the corner, I almost missed them,

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  10. Konstantine

I took some more time to analyze this screenshot, may I make some observations.
    We are both at 100 turns and seemed to have gotten bad rolls for the planets nearby, apart from our location we are in comparable situations. I see a difference in tech research as I'm struggling on this one, you are doing well for this early based on the points you are generating.
    Look at our home planets now, here is where you will get more comfortable as you play more, note I have 342 production to your 186, Our home worlds are identical as you are Human also, that means that very quickly you will find your own style to get better production out of your home world early on. Once that happens, it will make a difference to how hard early construction efforts can be and you will have more freedom of choices.
    We both have tons of money and that needs to be addressed at some point

11. aReclusiveMind

Maybe... I also hear they are rather self destructive and self loathing as a species. Is that inaccurate?

Haha, fair points. I actually prefer playing alien races most of the time because the humans are typically the most vanilla of the races. That is to say they have no special bonuses or hindrances, no particularly unique or special game systems, etc. I find most developers make humans a bit less exotic in order to ease new players into the game. That's not really the case in ISG right now as all three races are almost the same, but my preference stands none the less. I do and will play humans eventually though.

12. Konstantine

By the time I made contact with the lizards the situation for Terra has started to get brighter. That coveted outpost at Klersoak had been completed and I had two new colonies established, one as a direct result. Research was also beginning to recover and my Fleet had added more ships, including destroyers. However, it is obvious that the Dragul have a high production world at Jugrooys and they look very strong judging by their borders, I will have to build up quickly
    0162.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  13. Konstantine

Expansion now reached a feverish pitch and Terra quickly grew in size and power. A new colony was established around a recently discovered white dwarf at Oyaissic and a vital outpost was built at Yeokt which became the navy’s most forward base. The strategic location of Yeokt allowed the Empire to defend itself from the North and also put a slice of Dragul space within striking distance.

Contact with the Moltar has still not been established, they’re out there somewhere and it is worrisome to not have any information on them.

Existing colonies finally begun to be productive and research continues to increase, the navy has expanded and now has one Cruiser deployed with another under construction, 2 more missile frigates are also partially complete.

Still, even after this effort, Terra is clearly second to the Dragul in power and industrial capacity. Therefore, I have no choice but to try a Pearl Harbor on the Dragul and strike first before they simply outgrow me to death.

The map shows my plans. The bulk of the Navy is gathered at Yeokt and will be set to strike at Dayrini, I want to take this planet as a base and use it to fight the war in Dragul space. By my logic, the longer I fight in their space the better. Additional forces are spread throughout the empire, both to provide ready re-enforcements where needed and to respond to the Moltar if they show up.

I’ll be honest here. I don’t know why the Dragul gave me time to build up, I wouldn’t have. On the other hand I feel like they don’t view me as a threat meaning that they are indeed more powerful. I’ll be even more honest. I hate to lose but I really don’t like what I see and it looks like it will be another war that can only be won by some innovative thinking. We will see, my forces are in place and my attack imminent.
    0210.jpg

14. Edward the Hun

Edward the Hun Moderator Lieutenant

What has Dayrinni ever done to you?! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. MizzouRah

MizzouRah Cadet

This was my first game.. so I'm definitely learning how to get more production. I also wish I could retrofit my ships. :) I tend to build military up first and I need more because the space monsters are not killable yet. :)

16. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Retrofit will come, in a not too distant future.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. aReclusiveMind

Not too many places for the Moltar to be hiding. They must be pretty weak this time around. Not too surprising since they seem to be the "hard mode" race right now. Compared to humans they get -50% growth and uhh... no benefits.

The other scenario is they are waiting for your forces to move out so they can come through an unseen wormhole and ravage your homeworld. Tell your earthlings to tuck their children in tight before you leave!

18. MizzouRah

MizzouRah Cadet

Awesome!

19. Konstantine

Our children get shipped off to military academy as soon as they can walk... serves the little snot-noses right. We do not cower in fear at Terra. We are the aggressors and we're coming to open a leather goods factory in Dragul space.

I think you are entirely correct about the Moltar, hiding and lurking. With the setting on impossible I don't like not having any intelligence at all on the matter, It's causing me to leave substantial assets behind to cover any contingencies.

But don't worry my lizard loving friend. I will smack them too when I find them.

I have a similar style MizzouRah, love my military, and your session interests me a lot. Trust me, there are many ways to bring up your production in ISG, I like that it is not one approach every single time. That allows everyone to find the style and approach best suited to their own tastes, I really like that.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Konstantine

He tasks me. He tasks me, and I shall have him. I'll chase him round the Moons of Nibia and round the Antares Maelstrom and round Perdition's flames before I give him up!

• Funny Funny x 3