Pre 9 Alpha: New Game dialog not functioning

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by Richard Burton, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Burton

Richard Burton Cadet

The New Game dialog is not functioning for me. When I click on the New Game button in the splash screen the dialog opens very slowly and none of the options (galaxy size, difficulty, race, etc) can be modified from the defaults. The dialog is completely unresponsive. Clicking on any of the options has no effect. At which point if I ESC out of the dialog (because there is no Close button) and then click on New Game again, the dialog opens but fails to fully resolve - it just appears as a shadowly transparency and never fully loads.

This was not an issue in pre alpha 8.

System: Windows 7 professional 64 bit
    Ram: 4GB
    video card: 2GB

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Hello Richard, welcome to the forums.

One possibility is that it's an antivirus software interference. Sometimes, antivirus software like Windows Defender, for example, allow a game to launch but then don't allow manipulating anything when inside the game. We had a similar problem in the past where a player reported being able to launch the game (an intermediate build) but not being able to click on anything in the main menu. This was due to a misconfiguration issue from our side, where we were forcing a game icon to be displayed and some antivirus applications did not like that. That was corrected, and the antivirus was not bothered anymore, for that player. I'll confirm if that may be the case with this Pre-Alpha 9 build.

By the way, do the other main menu options work for you? Load game, Settings, Credits?

Do you happen to have any active anti-virus software running? Could you please disable it, or make an exception for the game, try again and let me know if the problem persists? Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  3. Richard Burton

Richard Burton Cadet

Hi Adam - thanks for the response.

To the best of my knowledge I have no anti-virus software running. Windows Defender is not turned on. The only security application I have enabled is Microsoft Security Essentials.

So, in Pre-Alpha 9, the Credits and Settings dialogs work fine; it is just the New Game dialog that is not working for me at the moment. I didn't try Load Game as I haven't any games to load.

As mentioned, I still have the Pre Alpha 8 build on my machine as well and there is no issue with the dialogs in that build. They work as expected.

I would think that if it was due to something outside the application it would affect both builds similarly.

4. MalRey

MalRey Developer Lieutenant

Hi Richard,

Just to understand if the problem is wider or specific of the new 'new game' screen, I send you a save game of the turn 1 of the human race. try loading it from the main menu and tell us what happens.

Thanks !

Attached Files:

5. Richard Burton

Richard Burton Cadet

Hi,

Sure no problem. Can you tell me what folder structure the file need to reside in under ISG_pre-alpha_9_64bit so that it is visible to the Load dialog. Thanks.

6. Adam Solo

Thanks for the feedback, that helps.
    It could have been something we did different when we built the game for this new version. However, that doesn't seem to be the case, so it's something else.
    In Windows 10 the saves are here: Drive:\Users\<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Praxis Games\ISG\

As MalRey has suggested, please try loading that save, play around a bit and report back so we can try to isolate the issue, and understand if it's strictly related with the "New Game" function or not. Thanks.

7. Richard Burton

Richard Burton Cadet

Hi,

I loaded up the save this afternoon. The Load dialog finds the save file and allows me to select it. The game then loaded just fine. Sadly I didn't have time to play with it at that point.

Now this evening I can select the save file and click Load but once the Load dialog closes and I am presented with the loading saved game splash screen that's were I stay - the game never loads and ultimately I have to kill the application. it did produce an output og file though in the ISG folder in AppData. I have attached it. Not sure if it contains anything useful.

Attached Files:

8. Adam Solo

Thanks for the output_log.txt Richard, that helped.

It seems that there may be a graphics issue involved due to some of the UI changes we made for the PA9 version.

The PA8 version was a bit lighter in terms of required graphics rendering capabilities, so could you please try to launch the game in the "Low" and "Very Low" settings by manipulating the "Graphics Quality" in the ISG Configuration launch screen? Let us know how that went, and if you can now manipulate things inside the "New Game" menu, and if you can load a saved game, as well.

Also, what resolution are you using to play the game? Could you please also let us know what's your CPU?

Thanks!

9. Richard Burton

Richard Burton Cadet

Hi Adam

I have a busy week ahead but just wanted to get you some quick feedback in case it helps with identifying the issue. I launched the game today in 1024 x 768, at low resolution in windowed mode. The New Game dialog still doesn't function. More telling I think is that if I ESC out of the New Game dialog to the main menu and then click on New Game again, the dialog launches but never finishes displaying - there is just a ghostly outline of the dialog and that is where everything halts. And sometimes when escaping back to the main menu - none of the buttons will work. Previously I had launched the game at 1920 X 1080 on normal, which is the default resolution of the external monitor. At the lower resolution the font is too tiny to read so definitely need to play at a higher resolution.

For what it is worth, with the task manager open the game is using up ~ 950 MB of memory when in the main menu and the one time I was able to load your saved game it bumped up to 1.3 GB with the map loaded in turn 1. Just adding that in case it is not in line with what you are expecting.

My system spec are as follows:
    Sony Vaio Laptop with a second external monitor
    processor: Intel Core i7 Q740 at 1.73 GHz - I believe it is a quad core
    ram: 4 GB
    graphics: 2 GB Nvidia GEForce 310M
    system: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

I have included tonight's log file in case there is anything different in it - it looks similar to the last one.

Attached Files:

10. Adam Solo

Thanks for the report on playing with Low settings and for the system specs.

Ok, we have an idea of what may be causing the "New Game" issue for you. So, if you wouldn't mind we'd like you to try a special version we've built for you, and then report back?

There was a glitch when showing the "New Game" panel, that was going unnoticed in our systems. An UI function was being called twice when opening the "New Game" panel and we think there's a good chance that may be causing the unresponsive behavior issue in your end.

Let me know if we can send you the build link for you to download, and if we can use the email address you used to register on this forum. If you want us to use another email address please let us know which via private message / conversation through the "INBOX" function above.

Thanks a lot.

11. Richard Burton

Richard Burton Cadet

No problem. Happy to test a "special" build. You can send me the download link using the email address I rused to register for the forums. It will probably be Wednesday or Thursday evening before I have a chunk of time to look at it.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. MalRey

Hi Richard,

We've sent you the special build via WeTransfer. You should have the notification in your mailbox.
    -We've corrected a bug when opening the new game screen which, by mistake, was being called twice.
    -Also, we've added a new flag in game settings which enable/disable the UI fade mechanism of the game.

We ask you to test first with the fade effect enabled, to test with the single call to the new game screen and, if the problem still remains, please test with fade mechanism disabled.

Thanks !

13. Richard Burton

Richard Burton Cadet

Hi. Well I had some time to test the special build today. First I cleared out the game log file from the ISG folder.

I launched the game at 1280 x 1024 in low resolution and verified that the fade effect was on. I clicked New Game. The dialog opened and there was no change in behaviour. Clicking the various game options didn't change the default settings (at least not visibly). At which point I closed the application and got the game log file (see output_log_fade_on).

Next I relaunched the game with the same size and resolution. I opened the Settings dialog and turned the fade effect off (deselect). I clicked New Game and again there was no change in behaviour. For what it is worth, at this point I clicked Start Game - there was no visual indication on the button that I had clicked it. A few seconds later the dialog disappeared and the game started to load; however, the game was never generated. After 5 minutes the loading screen was still displaying "Loading game please wait. Generating game." I closed the application and grabbed the log file (see output_log_fade_off).

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

14. MalRey

Hi, there ! Thanks for trying.

We've sent you another build via WeTransfer with some disabled control variables for the fade effect.

An important note:
    According with the log, you are using a driver from 2012 (9.18.13.623 from 2012-08-30). Can you please check if this is true ? I know the existence at least of a driver from 2015 9.18.13.4144 - 2015-02-03). The latest official driver for your card is here: https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/112598

Can you please first try with the new build we've just sent you and only after with the driver update ?

Thanks !!

15. Richard Burton

Richard Burton Cadet

Hi,

Thanks for the link to the NVIDIA driver update. I did install it. It seems to have been a mixed blessing. The drivers have been updated, but it has turned my laptop's 1600 x 900 screen into a 1440 x 900 screen and refuses to recognize any resolution for the laptop higher than that. I now have 80 pixel black bars on either side of the screen - something I will need to follow up with NVIDIA. The external panel is working just fine.

As for the new game build, the New Game dialog is working as expected now. I can cycle through the different options, click Start Game, and the game is generated. I didn't touch the default fader option.

Next up - actually playing the game :)

Thanks for following up on this.

16. MalRey

Hi Richard. You welcome! Glad to ear that you'll be able to play our game soon! Feel free to participate in the forums by providing some gameplay feedback and suggestions which are valuable to us at this stage !

Just a quick tip for the resolution issue, try and find a driver specific for your notebook at you brand support page, sometimes they have tuned drivers to meet with some specific hardware.

Request: Since we've made some changes in this last build, can you check if the original build is working fine with this driver ?

Thanks !

17. Richard Burton

Richard Burton Cadet

Hi,

I have confirmed that post the updated video driver install the New Game dialog works in the regular pre alpha 9 build and both special builds. Thanks for your patience in helping me resolve this issue.

18. Adam Solo

Great news Richard! So, it was the driver in the end. Next time, we'll start from there :)

Regarding the driver / resolution issue you're having, it seems that this driver version may not be suitable for your Sony Vaio machine after all.

In the link we've provided you, one can read the following note/exception:
    My interpretation is that if you have a Sony VAIO F Series machine, then this driver should have worked. However, and as MalRey has also suggested, I'd have a look at Sony's driver support for a more suitable driver. Try here, in the product category "Computer Sony Vaio Laptop".

Good luck with that, and let us know how it went. In the meantime, feel free to provide any feedback or suggestions you may have about the game, so we may provide the best game we can at release.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.