How big will be the galaxy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedy2511, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Not exactly, when you add up all the red, white and brown dwarfs that you will discover add in the boson starts, black holes, rogue planets, the map(any size) is 75%-80% larger than visible, that doesn't equal 80% uncovered, that would be roughly 45%.
    Total for Huge map, all inclusive, is not what you see at start, many systems to find.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Speedy2511

Speedy2511 Cadet

So you don't see all the stars from the beginning like in many other 4x games? That would be cool :)
    Greetings
    Nico

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

Yes, that's right, a lot of the stars present in the game aren't visible at the start. This can even include stars not far from your home system. In addition, you will also discover ruins, special planetary features, and strategic resources this way. Uncovering these through remote exploration or the use of a survey ship is one of the most unique and interesting aspects of the game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Konstantine

All told, a huge map in ISG has roughly double the number of systems that a huge map in MoO2 had and there's lots of cool stuff to search for:)

5. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Great discussion guys, thanks a lot for your feedback. We're constantly reading what you're saying and taking notes.

Regarding the pan and zoom topic, we're considering adding a form of zoom to the game, which as some of you have pointed out may be even required for playing the game in large and huge galaxies effectively. Perhaps we'll do it a bit like MoO2 did, with zoom levels or steps. The bigger the galaxy the more steps you could have, but not too many.

Starting zoomed-in with the view centered over your homeworld is also an interesting idea. Players would be able to zoom-out immediately, if they wanted, and that would fit the game in one screen, or simply continue wondering around the homeworld more closely. As said by @Mezmorki, starting zoomed in a bit could also make the galaxy feel a bit bigger and more alive, which is something we have in our minds but we're still undecided on what's the best way to achieve it. Starting zoomed-in and allowing for some zoom levels with very good UI transitions between them can go a long way in making a good first impression with people, so let's see what we can come up with.

As for panning, it's not as much in our plans as zooming, but it might be a possibility along with the zooming, we'll see.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  6. Mezmorki

Mezmorki Ensign

If you allow players to zoom in, you have to allow them to pan around the map at that zoomed in level. Simply have the arrow keys (and/or WASD or a mouse right button hold and drag) for panning. The zooming and panning are linked, and zooming without a panning ability would be even more confusing and frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Konstantine

For ISG, entirely applicable, we are not speaking of thousands of stars, then there is this
    You know what I agree.
    Now I understand the need to please those who may fixate on a minor issue but I sure as heck don't want to see serious time and resources go into a pan and zoom feature for a map that fits well even on 1366x768 screen. (huge map included)
    So how about we keep it simple
    3-4 selectable levels of zoom similar to HOI, EU series. (and of course MoO2)
    Pan by this below
    I like that I can enjoy this game on the go on my lap-top without peripheral devices.
    I don't like creating a mountain out of a mole hill.
    So to put it bluntly (my opinion only of course)
    A)Give enough to silence most dissent (you will never finish any game attempting to please every last player)
    B)Move on.

I mean really, most of you sit and play this on your rigs at home with large screens and apart from the initial reaction from a new player who won't be accustomed to a single map screen (which is a feature I like), this really isn't that much of an issue. It makes a lot of sense to deal with it minimally and conserve efforts for more pressing matters.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. CrazyElf

CrazyElf Lieutenant

Agree. Density of stars has gone up.

It leads to some very interesting games and dynamics.

• Agree Agree x 1