ISG Dev Diary #4: Space Combat

Discussion in 'Development News' started by MalRey, Feb 28, 2017.

1. MalRey

MalRey Developer Lieutenant

Hi everyone, this week we propose to discuss our solution for the space combat!

The space combat design is heavily inspired by the space combat system of Master of Orion 2 with some novelties related with the inclusion of a heat system, energy overload actions and action credits.

The combat is turn-based and will be played in a square grid just like in MoO2. The ships will be 3D but with a top down view perspective like in MoO2. The 3D is here to justify some additional features that we are still testing to provide a better and more immersive combat experience.

Heat System

Each ship has an associated heat level at a given time. Heat levels can change for several reasons such as being hit by an enemy's weapons or through excessive use of energy overload actions during combat.

Critical heat level indicates that, in the next turn, the ship may malfunction, or even explode. So, you will be making a decision between keeping the excessive heat and jeopardize the ship's integrity, or to cool-off your ship at the tradeoff of seeing your actions limited for the next turns.

Overload Actions

The player can decide to allocate additional energy to shields, weapons and engines above their nominal specifications, which we call "overload actions".

The overload will provide temporary benefits to the ship, from enhanced shield performance, better weapons or faster movement. The tradeoff is that the ship will see its heat level increase. So, you must be careful not to reach critical heat levels.

Ship Actions (action credits)

Each turn, each individual ship has 2 action credits to spend.

All actions can be used/spent when the player wants during their turn in any sequence desired, as long as there are actions left to activate. The possible actions are:

- Move: Player can move the ship as far as the engine speed allows. The player can decide to spend one move action, or two, therefore he can move the ship twice.

- Rotate: Player can rotate the ship freely (360º).

- Flee: Player can issue the flee command to retreat from battle (the flee will then take place in the beginning of the next turn).

- Scan: Player can decide to scan an enemy ship to reveal details according to the sensor system installed. The enemy ship will be marked as “scanned” somehow, for the player to know who was scanned and not afterwards.

- Salvage: Allows the player to obtain loot from the battlefield from debris of destroyed ships. The ship must be right next to the debris in order to salvage, for now.

- Board: Allows the player to board an enemy vessel.

The only exception is fire, which can be done at any time during the turn.

Movement

The ship movement follows an inertial pattern like the one found in Master of Orion 2.

So, ship movement shall depend on the ship direction and the previous movement profile. If no movement was made yet in a turn, it means that the ship is “stopped” and we can move in more directions. On the contrary, if a move has already been made, it means the ship is in movement and that the next possible position is conditioned by the inertial laws

Better engines translates to more movement points in combat. Additionally, when designing your ships, you can increase the maneuverability level of the ship which increases combat speed further (more possibilities for smaller ships, less for bigger ones)

Overloading engines gives you more ship range in that specific turn.

The engines' status can be "overload", "nominal", "damaged" and "broken". A ship with a damaged engine can only move at half speed.

Engines can be damaged or broken by ship critical heat or by enemy hits which target the ship's structure.

[​IMG]

Defensive System

Each ship has three levels of defense: Shields, armor and structure (or hull).

The hull's strength can be modified while designing your ships by adjusting the "Hull Reinforcement" modification, which enriches the hull with more armor material.

During combat, shields can be overloaded providing bonuses to shields, from better absorption rate, blocking points and recharge rate.

Shields can be adjusted to provide 90, 270, or 360 degrees of protection to your ship.

The shields' status can be "overloaded", "nominal", "damaged" and "broken".

Damaged shields cannot be overloaded and they lose the recharge rate capability.

Shields can be damaged or broken by ship critical heat or by enemy hits that target the ship's structure.

Firing System

There are three types of weapons in the game that can be used in combat: Beams, kinetics and missiles.

Beams are versatile weapons that see their damage dissipate with range. They tend to inflict the lowest damage of the three types, but are quite accurate.

Kinetic weapons do moderate to high amounts of damage, which doesn’t decrease with range. They are particularly suited for close range combat. On the negative side, kinetics are the least accurate of the weapon types.

Missiles are very effective for long range combat. They have unlimited range, don’t suffer from range damage reduction, tend to inflict the greatest damage and are the most accurate. The downside is that they take time to reach their targets, and can be destroyed or countered in the process.

Weapon firing arcs will be defined during ship design and can vary between full, front, front-sides and rear coverage.

Weapons can be grouped for focus firing on a target or fired individually in order to hit multiple targets

The weapon's status can be "overloaded", "nominal" and "broken". Weapons can be broken by ship critical heat or by enemy hits which target the ship's structure.

Special Systems

Special systems are ship components that offer special abilities other than shield and armor protection, and weapons. They are either present in the ship or not, contrary to weapons where a number can be set.

Examples of special systems:

- Gyro Destabilizer: Spins target ship randomly.
    - Cloaking Device: Ship remains unseen until it fires.
    - Tractor Beam: Brings ships closer, good for boarding.
    - Repulsor Beam: Pulls ships away, good for not being boarded :)
    - Combat Jump Displacer: "Teleports" a ship to a different location in the combat grid.
    - Bomb Rack: Enables planetary bombardment.
    - Fighter Bays.
    - Bomber Bays.

Crew

For every turn in space, the crew gains an experience point. Every enemy ship destroyed adds experience. When the crew gains enough experience, they level up to the next rank and their ship gains further combat bonuses.

Status

The space combat mechanics are already implemented for the most part, but there's some major work left to be done related with adding some missing functionalities and improving the current mechanics, as for UI overall improvements.

Now please let us know your impressions, your ideas and suggestions.

Thank you all!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2017
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  2. csebal

csebal Cadet

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

The design appears to be simple enough and that is a good sign.
    - The heat system is intriguing although I just cannot shake the nagging feeling of it potentially becoming a nuisance.
    - The movement all in all appears to be sound, though I most certainly miss variety from it. There have been games out there which portrayed different methods of movement even on a tactical level quite nicely and how it can affect tactical game play.
    - Some actions sound a bit dodgy:
    > Free rotation - sure its just a game, but rotating massive objects, especially completely might be just as hard as it is getting them to move from A to B. While free rotation would be completely reasonable for small vessels or ones built with maneuverability in mind, I would most certainly not expect my largest ships to be able to rotate 360 degrees without sacrificing all their movement in the process.
    > Scavenging - time scale issues.. how is a single turn sufficient to 1) board a ship 2) look it through for valuable stuff 3) strip valuables 4) cart it off the ship 5) unboard? If scavenging takes more than a single turn, then does that ship have to stay there until it is done? Why not just save that action for after battle, when the winning side can look through the wreckage in peace?
    > Boarding - again, time scale.. I would most certainly expect boarding to be a multiple turn action.
    > Fleeing - if you can flee in a single turn, combat will easily degrade into a benny hill chase around the galaxy. There should be some sort of cooldown, or drive spinup delay on fleeing too.

Also, I would consider attack to be an action as well, not something you can do in addition to taking your two actions. Hell, why not take two attacks, if you decide not to move?

- Experience gain in combat: you realize that I would start running around disabled ships just to rack up "combat experience", right? Experience gain has to be tied to actions other than being in combat, otherwise it promotes unnatural engagements, where you linger around or delay combat just to earn more XP.

Regardless of the above comments, I find this an interesting and good foundation for a combat system, which I am sure you will refine further still.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Vivisector 9999

Vivisector 9999 Moderator Ensign

The idea of heat/overload is definitely one innovation over MOO2. I await the combat system's further refinements with interest.

However, I did find myself wishing there were (or hoping there will be) more systems available in the early game, particularly special systems.

Things like fuel tanks to extend range, emergency boosters to give a defense bonus while fleeing, a luxury quarter to boost a leader's morale... things that are quite doable even with the technology humanity has today!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

A few comments from wet navy experience,

Movement should not affect fire. They are seperate in real life and I agree with the implementation here particularly for kinetic and missile weapons systems

Rotating in place, no reason why not in space, (no friction or gravity acting against you), on the water it is something else entirely.

Weapons overload brings to mind the days of wooden ships when one could increase the powder for range, load double shot for more kinetic damage or load chain shot (two smaller projectiles linked by a chain) to strike at the sails of the vessel (engines)
    And my favorite, hot shots, where the projectile was heated first with the intent to cause fire to break out on the target.

A comment not from wet navy experience

Where is the self destruct?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. IvanK

IvanK Lieutenant

There was one game which 4X fans don't want to talk about which bothered to explain that. In that game you multiple weapon mounts to choose from and they were divided in two broad categories: turreted and spinal. Well turreted were not exactly called turreted, their names a ordinary "point defense", "light mount", "heavy mount" but their description alluded to being turreted or something like that. In any case they were contrasted with spinal mount which were described as fixed mount which literately required aiming with a whole ship. But the actual combat contradicted the description because all mounts produced 360° coverage and spinal mounts were abstracted with lower rate of fire (and greater range and damage).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Possibility

Possibility Ensign

Objects have mass and momentum, and that applies equally to movement AND rotation. Rotating a large object will take a lot more thrust from the maneuvering thrusters then rotating a light object. So light ships should be able to rotate more per turn then a large ship. However, the maneuvering thrusters are separate from the main engines, so you should be able to both rotate and move at the same time, but not rotate an unlimited amount, that would look silly to see a star destroyer spinning in circles.

I would suggest replacing the word "broken" with "disabled".

The heat system along with overloading sounds interesting and I look forward to seeing it. But this could result in a lot of mouse clicking to have to tell a dozen or 2 dozen ships to all overload their shields and/or the their main beam weapon. My suggestion is to allow the selection of multiple ships at once by drawing a box around them or ctrl-clicking to select them and then overload them all with one click.

Dont tie experience to the killing blow, then all the 10 ships that weakened the enemy first wont get any experience. Maybe tie experience to successful actions, such as hitting the target, or a boarding raid, or defending against a boarding raid, or a successful scan.

Please dont make the combat look like a civil war era battle with both sides all lined up in neat rows just outside of weapons range. Moo2, and the new Stars in Shadow did this and its a bit boring and NuMoo was also has boring combat like that. The battle field needs to have more than just ships on 2 sides and planet. Maybe make it the entire solar system, with the sun, planets and moons and asteroids and asteroid belts, and space bases, and commercial transports flying between planets that you can loot from if you capture or destroy. When your fleet gets near a planet to attack it, you could see civilian transports start fleeing the planet like refugees leaving a war zone ahead of the invading armies, and your fleet can attempt to shoot them down (with diplomatic repercussions, or repercussions to your own empires moral for being evil). A large battle map with lots of targets to attack and lots of things to defend makes for a more interesting battle. And also makes ship cloaking more valuable, then the defender doesn't really know which planet on the battle map you are attacking, or conversely if the defender is cloaked then you as the attacker dont know where they are or which planet they are defending.

Maybe limit the number of turns you can do in combat to something like 10 or 20 turns, then the battle pauses until the next game turn, where then the battle resumes where you left off but new reinforcements warp in at the edge of the battle map.

Please allow planets to have an absolute shit ton of defenses. Moo1 could build unlimited missile bases, do allow that again with unlimited fighter bases, and moon bases, and orbital defenses, and crazy numbers or space stations. The new Independence Day movie, although not the best movie, it did do some excellent world building, with the earth building a network or satellites in orbit with beam weapons and a moon bases with a large beam weapon. I see these things in movies and I want to build them in my games, but then the game says, no way hozay, you can only build 1 single missile base on this ultra huge planet, well just because, and then i get all pissed (double pissed) because i cant live out my sci-fi fantasies and its also completely unrealistic.

A couple of questions. Does 1 player move all of their ships, and then the next player? Or is it one ship at a time based on individual ship initiative?

So far your progress looks good, keep up the great work.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Konstantine

I have taken an extreme linking to this, both for the tactical and strategic aspects. This should be seriously considered regardless

8. Possibility

Possibility Ensign

One idea I have been floating around in my head is letting the attacker decide where they exit warp on the combat map and having the ships scattered about that area due to inaccurate navigation when exiting warp.

The way I picture the current Moo2 combat is that the attacking fleet exits warp well out of range of the planet, they then fly into formation and then approach the planet in formation where then combat starts. The defenders having seen the attackers exit warp far away and taking time to get into formation allows the defenders time to get prepared and also enter into formation above the planet.

But, what if when attacking a planet or system you can have a choice of standard attack or surprise attack. If you chose surprise attack, you dont exit warp far away and get into formation, instead you exit warp right on top of the planet. The tech level of your computers and navigation determining how tightly bundled or how scattered about your ships are. With more advanced tech you have better accuracy exiting warp. With the surprise attack though, the defenders also dont get time to line up into formation and they could also be slight scattered about the planet.

The benefits of this type of attack is that you would start very close the planet you are attacking, and could then hopefully drop bombs or death spores on it during the first combat turn. The downside is that your ships arent in a good formation and maybe scattered about and could be easier pickings for the defender, but the defenders would also be scattered around a little too.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Konstantine

Possibility, can I ask you a question
    Regarding lining up like it's the civil war.
    What if the system was WEGO turn based instead of IGOUGO, how would you feel about this?

10. Possibility

Possibility Ensign

WEGO would make it play out more fair and give it added realism in that aspect. I would definitely prefer WEGO versus IGOUGO, and would still prefer RTS to either of these. However lining up the ships would still 'look' artificial. Battles should be chaotic, have terrain, line of sight, maneuvering and flanking, and surprises because you dont know where your enemy is coming from. Battles should not be, "Hey you guys line up in nice rows over there and we will line up in nice rows over here, and when I say 'go' we all move towards each other and start firing. Everyone agree? ok, now GO!"

That sounds like a bunch of elementary kids getting together to play dodge ball. Not real combat where you will actually die. There are living people on those ships and I assume they actually value their lives. When the battle looks artificial and all the ships line up and you are the first ship and move into range of the enemy line to get instantly blown to smithereens, who in their right mind would pilot their ship to do that. Maybe 100 yrs ago the uneducated masses may have been willing to do that in war, but people know better nowadays. Modern soldiers arent going to do that. This is why Stars in Shadows ultimately disappointed me. The game was 85% geared towards war, but the combat just looked too artificial and it played out in an ultimately unsatisfying way.

This is what I want from combat:

• Battle maps would be huge, with 5 planets and their moons to defend spaced out around a star, all present during the combat.
    • If all the planets are lined up on one side of the star they are easier to defend then if spread out on opposite sides. So the attacker could pick the right year to attack when the planets are spaced out in their orbits. Spying a planet before hand could determine the orbital positions and the battle field map (ie. location of planets, moons, asteroids, and orbital defenses)
    • Attacker can pick an area of the map to exit warp, and his ships are scattered about into that small area at the start of combat.
    • The defender doesnt know where into the system the attack will exit warp.
    • Ships should have limited line of sight (radar scanning range) like in a RTS game. Thus if the attacker warps in at the fringe of the battle map, the defenders and attackers can not see each other at the start of combat. They will have to explore the combat map and find each other and reveal the fog of war.
    • There should be asteroids and asteroid belts, and comets, (and hell, even though not realistic, throw in some nebula clouds as terrain.)
    • With the limited line of sight and fog of war, cloaked ships become actually usable, you can sneak around the battle map and find out where the defender has placed their ships.
    • Defenders could deploy cloaked mine fields.
    • Defender can place their ships into orbit above 1 planet, and send a mine deployer to another planet and surround it with cloaked mine fields. Attacker warps in at the edge and then scouts out the area and sees one planet heavily defended and another undefended so goes for the undefended planet and falls into the minefield trap.
    • Attackers and Defenders could have scout ships that have extra scanning range in the combat map to find where the enemy is hiding.
    • Attackers could warp in at the edges and assemble their fleet, and hunt down the defenders.
    • Or attackers could warp in right on top of the choicest planet and hopefully catch the defenders off guard before they can deploy defenses, or maybe the defenders put their fleet above one of the other planets and then have to scramble to move their fleet across the battle map to defend the undefended planet (if planet is on other side of the star it will take a while to get there).
    • With advanced tech planets could build warp interdictors that prevent the attacker from warping in right on top of the planet, forcing them to warp in on the fringes of the battle map thus giving the defenders time to deploy defenses.
    • Combat would have a set limited amount of time or turns, and then pause until the next game turn. Other fleets that arrive on the next game turn would then warp into the battle.

There is just so much that can be done with the combat other than the tiny battle maps with 2 fleets lined up facing each other.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Robert Rau

Robert Rau Cadet

List of some things that came to my mind on some of the points that you have listed.

3D
    I hope we can have a fight in true 3D, but if done well it could not be bad anyway.
    I am intrigued by the idea of what you will invent.

Heat System
    Already seen in some past game. I do not jump out of the chair as an idea, but it is plausible.
    Please, among the possible technologies included many types of "thermal dissipation" ;P

Overload Actions
    The idea is nice, although it seems more suited to clashes with a very limited number of ships (micromanagement).
    Having the opportunity to select a group of ships and set common parameters can help.

Ship Actions (action credits)

The number of actions per turn may be calculated in relation to engine power, the ability to maneuver and the degree of integration
    of weapons systems. This may well reflect technological progress.

- Move: ok

- Rotate: The rotation could be free within an angle calculated by relating mass and maneuverability (directional or similar rockets).
    Spending an entire additional action could allow any rotation (you can also consider a multiple of the free rotation).

- Flee: Ok, If the motors are still functioning or not captured by a radius tractor or other device.

- Scan: Scan an enemy ship could provide a bonus in combat or allow to disable key components.

- Salvage: Yes please.

- Board: Yes please. :D

The only exception is fire, which can be done at any time during the turn. : Ok

Crew

Ok the bonus relative to the overall experience of the crew,
    but What about considering it for the creation of the official or specific characters to be used on the same ship or reuse elsewhere.

I would love that you include of escape modules in the game. They may be recovered from another friend or enemy ship (during a fight) or be selected at a subsequent rescue mission. This would allow to have a crew (or part of it) already at a higher level of experience and ready to be re-loaded onto another ship. It could open exchange of prisoners scenarios, or use the recovery of a crew to improve relations with another species (or become aware of a new race not yet met).

Thank you

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. Konstantine

There is no denying that what you describe would be pretty awesome but I could see that many liberties would have to be taken to achieve anything remotely close to it.

I am not going to go point by point with you as that would not suffice, I prefer to discuss this in general, humour me a bit.

To effect most of what you describe you need tactical solar system maps (oh I would love that!) and they cannot be to scale either, some things would need to be abstracted, quite a lot in fact but scale between solar system objects and ships must be discarded. You could certainly add a variety of "terrain" to these maps but if you want this "terrain" to play a role in combat, then you must accept even more "liberties", particularly with reality.

I have no experience in space other than some interesting programs I experienced in the 80s which tried to simulate combat in the solar system but I do have some slight knowledge and experience with naval operations, in particular surface actions.

For the most part, there is no terrain at sea, or to say it in more earthly terms, you are not fighting in woods with a hill or river to anchor your flank. There is no ridge to obscure your movements or rally behind, fighting here is similar to North Africa in WWII. This means you are fighting a battle of maneuver where the speed of your units combined with their firepower and range is going to shape the battle. Once you add in the 3d aspects of azimuth and altitude, terrain in space becomes even less valuable. (I don't have to go around that asteroid, I can go over it or under it just as well). A moon or planet would offer more value as terrain obviously as certain assets could be hidden behind such a body but at the end of the day I could still go over or under it too and hiding only works if I'm coming from the correct direction in relation to the defender.

I still feel that what you have described could add some levels of excitement seldom found in 4x games but the only way to get it working right would be to forget about reality to a degree and concentrate on making it fun. This subject fascinates me obviously but I feel like what you describe could be a game in and of itself. In order to integrate this into a 4x game I believe you may be better served by toning it down somewhat.

Start with tactical solar system view, fill in terrain that makes some sense (even if not very realistic) and take it from there. (Needless to say, stay 2d)

Should you decide to create a seperate thread on this, I would be quite happy to support it

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  13. IvanK

IvanK Lieutenant

Shameless plug (hobby project more prealpha then PSS):
    combat example.png

14. Konstantine

Nothing wrong with a little self-promotion good sir,

Yes, that's the idea. I would envision something more like this

Sun occupying more hexes of the field, planets also.
    Ships occupy one hex, so does a squadron of fighters.
    Satellites I guess could be flexible on size and same for asteroid belts or other objects (terrain)

The whole thing has to be large enough to depict a solar system and ideally stay on one screen, no scrolling or zooming required.
    Then I would make the hexes or squares invisible to the player.

And that would be my "board" for a fight in a solar system.

I know if I were really out there, fighting a battle, I would want a tactical display and not care about how pretty the solar system looks, I would be there to make things go "boom", I wouldn't be sightseeing.

But that's me, others might be turned off by a tactical map, I just feel it is the only way to execute the type of combat Possibility describes (very well might I add) and stay within the Moo2 groove.

It would also fit well with the whole philosophy of fewer ships as they would be effective on a map like this. It would make a dozen ships seem like an Armada.

15. BlueTemplar

BlueTemplar Cadet

Hello,

What Possibility describes, is a lot like what Sword of the Stars 1 (and 2) has :

Here, I use an asteroid to physically block a particle beam shot aimed at my tanker, then retreat using the nodeline exit.

Another, arguably it's not the best combat example to show off terrain effects, as the missile-jamming asteroids were randomly placed out of the way in this specific fight, and while I do give ships the order to move to the nodepoint entry/exit in order to retreat, I don't give the order in the end.

But the last one also shows off something that I'm concerned about that hasn't been talked about in (at least this) diary entry :
    It's great to have a detailed combat system, but how are you going to deal with the "too many ships on the battlefield at the same time" syndrome that plagues most 4X (including MOO2 or so I've heard) in the mid and late game? (SotS1 has the command points/reserve system.)
    Especially considering that grid-based turn-based combat makes it worse, and with too many ships might present pathfinding problems too.

EDIT : forum was messing up my youtube timed links

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  16. Konstantine

Hi Blue Templar,

Not speaking for the Devs but I'm fairly certain you will see a command point type of system (or variation) that reflects high enough maintenance costs that will keep "less but more important ships" (quoting the Devs). All the posts I can recall suggest it will be dealt with on the strategic level so I would think that fielding large number of units in a battle, even late game will not be probable. Two dozen might be all that you have empire wide (plus or minus a bit)
    I'm fairly sure that it will also be looked at in the battle screen as regards managing ships.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mark

Mark Ensign

I was never a fan of SOTS1's reserve system, it seemed like a very gamey and hard-to-believe way of solving the "too many ships" problem. It worked but it really stretched credibility to the breaking point.

On the other hand I thought SOTS2's unique fleet system, limited solely by CP's worked extremely well and although the precise limits were a little hard to swallow, I never had much trouble suspending my disbelief. IMO SOST2 still has the best tactical combat system of any 4x ever created including MOO2.

Ive also heard people say that MOO2 suffered from a "too many ships" problem but I honestly dont get it. The MOO2 devs really bent over backwards to give the player as many options as they possibly could and it would be hard to imagine any way to give greater flexibility.

1/ You could manually fight the entire battle turn by turn.
    2/ You could hit the "auto" button while manually playing to watch the battle play out and re-take control again at any point. This is the obvious fix for "too many ships", just auto-play the battle until the number of ships is whittled down to what you consider a manageable level and then resume control again. Personally I never did this because I so much enjoyed managing even huge battles, but each to their own.
    3/ If you are manually resolving and wish to immediately finish the combat then just hit the "X" button and the entire combat - no matter how large - will be resolved in just a second or two.
    4/ Auto resolve the battle immediately without any tactical combat at all.

To me this would seem to effectively cover all the bases, too many ships? just use option #2, outcome is certain? Auto resolve or 'X', Down to the wire? Manual all the way. As long as PSS has at least an equally varied selection of combat options I really cant see a problem, this is one of the many design areas where MOO2 did it 100% right and really should be copied.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. vmxa

vmxa Commander

I agree with Mark, that Moo2 gives you plenty of ways to deal with the so called too many ships issue. The problem for me on the idea that you will have a small numbers of ships. is the larger maps.

If I play with say 8 races on a large map, I cannot be limited by CP to a dozen ships. I may have to fight 3 or more races at once. 10 to 12 ships is not going to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Konstantine

Extremely hard to argue with that. Moo2 allowed a balance and degree of comfort with fleet sizes and what could be handled in battle. There, a dozen ships manually was quite easy and you could double that number and still handle it in reasonable fashion. I agree with this very much.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BlueTemplar

BlueTemplar Cadet

SotS2 also has the feature that you can have up to 3 battles per turn in a system, and that you can choose to fight with 3 different fleets in each one of them, somewhat compensating for the hard CP limit.
    This can be tricky to deal with, even if done on the strategic side of things, an example where things break down in the late game despite the support costs is StarDrive 2 :

As for various kinds of autoresolves, there's also the HoMM5 system where you can play the autoresolve first, and if you don't like the results, you can choose to replay the same battle manually!
    I should really give MoO2 another chance, it deserves it despite its age!

• Agree Agree x 1