ISG Dev Diary #4: Space Combat

Discussion in 'Development News' started by MalRey, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Mark

Mark Ensign

Agreed, despite the admittedly pretty graphics it doesn't get much more boring in terms of tactical complexity to just sit there and watch one giant ameboid blob engulfing a slightly smaller, different colored giant ameboid blob. Over and over again. Hopefully PSS will manage to avoid that particular pitfall at all costs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Finestra

Finestra Lieutenant

A suggestion of How Battlefield could take Place look at The old game Ascendancy

3. vmxa

vmxa Commander

I liked Ascendancy, too bad the ai was never implemented. It was horrid on expansion. You could have techs that took a long time to research in that game as the game took a long time anyway. Mostly due to the star lanes.

4. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Ensign

To me the issue with turn based combat is scaling.It is great fun early game but ust become unfun with massive fleets mid to late game.Clicking on 30 ships pre turn might be fun to some but I believe not for most these days.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Mark

Mark Ensign

In MOO 2 if I had 30+ ships in combat I would just hit 'auto' until the number of ships was whittled down to 10 or so and then take manual control again. Seriously I dont see the problem of scaling in a TB game, especially with the tools that MOO 2 made available to manage it. I think the ISG devs were 100% right to go down the TB-for-everything path.

Especially when the alternative is RT combat where you just sit there and watch one colored blob eat another slightly smaller blob either with minimal input or frantically clicking like a maniac to try (and fail) to gain some semblance of control. Now *that's* frustrating.

• Agree Agree x 1