Modding Current Status

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Adam Solo, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Captain

As said in the FAQ, modding is part of our plan.

"We will be evaluating modding support including when it will be available and the best way to achieve it in the coming months. What we can say for now is that it should be possible to modify technologies, leaders, and other areas via simple XML editing. This may also include changing images and/or adding 3D models, but we’ll have to see. So, please check again in the near future and we may have more news on that."

In the meantime, please feel free to discuss modding for the game in this subforum. What would you like to be moddable and why? We'll take your inputs into consideration when we discuss modding internally and we'll see what can be done.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Mark

Mark Ensign

I've made no secret of the fact that I consider extensive modding support to be one of the most important features that a game can possibly have so I'm very happy to see that ISG will be mod friendly. I'm sure that the enormous benefit to playabilty and game longevity will more than pay back the extra work involved over time. Good decision!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

So lets say I would like to change some grafic/icons.
    Where are they, can I override this already and if not, can I unpack them and change them?

4. Adam Solo

The current build isn't mod-ready yet. So, no, nothing can be done mod-wise as of yet.

As said above, it should be possible to modify technologies, leaders, and other game parameters via simple XML editing at some point in time. This shouldn't be hard to achieve. Changing images and/or 3D models are also a possibility, we'll see.

Right now we're 100% focused in finishing the implementation of the missing systems in our road to Alpha. After that milestone is reached we'll be improving all the systems and then start thinking in modding.

In the meantime, feel free to let us know what you'd like to be able to mod in the game, and we'll see what we can do.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Well yes, this has to be done of course, I am with you; I just thought we could get our hands into it somehow. Like opening the packages and modifying them.

6. Adam Solo

To be frank with you that may even be possible already, to unpack and change stuff, but we don't know yet. When the time comes we'll investigate the right way of allowing people to mod the game.

We've structured the code and most of the game's data in a way that it should allow to expose XML files easily (e.g. leaders, tech tree, culture perks). In the future we may also consider exposing other parameters which should allow to control the game as people see fit. What gets exposed and not will also depend on what people tell us they'd like to modify in the game, of course.