Savegame is behaving odd

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by rxnnxs, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Game is Alpha 7a

What it does:
    I can see the whole universe and fleets are everywhere, but all of this should not happen.
    Nice bonus is, when I 7Zip the savegame, I can open the savegame and its a different universe? My homeplanet is located on another sector.
    I attached three files:

1.: A save that has been played from an autosave up to turn 43. unfortunately, the autosaves that were save before the cirrupted turn 41 were then overwritten, so this "turn 43" represents the universe how it really should look like.

2.: The second is the corrupt one (turn 41)

3.: The third is the 7zipped one. Just curious why I can open that game and why it looks the way it looks..

Interesting is, sometimes I can load the corrupt save, sometimes I can not.

and if it loads, the follow sometimes occurs:
    I took an older savegame and it looks almost ok to me, but instead of 2 colonies i have 4. problem is, they are not even colonized.
    i attached a picture that shows it.

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Wow, now that was odd :)

So, let me explain what happened there.

Around turn 41 your game got corrupted due to some bug, that is unknown to us. You then saved the corrupted game state (the turn 41 save). That save became corrupted. The errors you obtain when you load the 41 save are due to an faulty savegame from a corrupted game state. You say that your autosaves were overwritten, do you happen to have a save point that predates turn 41 and the autosaves? That could be helpful to try to replicate what happened around turn 41.

I'm sorry to say that the 7zipped load behavior is not magic :) That is what happens when you load a non-valid save file (any kind of non-valid file really) from the main menu (loading from the main menu is slightly different from inside the game settings' menu, but don't worry as the result is identical, when the savegame is healthy). That is why you report to sometimes be able to load the faulty save files and sometimes not. When you load a non-valid save game from inside the game's menu it doesn't open, but when you load from the main menu you just get a random game as a result of not being able to load the game properly.

Save from Turn 43 seems fine.

Conclusion

A bug happened around turn 41. We don't have sufficient data to understand what happened at the moment, but the result was a faulty save file. After that point all sorts of faulty behaviors can happen.

It would be great if you have a savefile prior to turn 41 to see if we can replicate the erroneus behavior. What do you remember doing last when you witnessed the "two more uncolonized colonies" appearing in the colonies list. Those colonies should not be there and are the result of a bug. Everthing got corrupted after that point. Do you remember if you did any battles prior to that? Or perhaps after choosing a space culture perk?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  3. Adam Solo

Ok, so I've runned a few more tests and I could pinpoint the bug and fixed it.

The problem is when we save a game while displaying the planets list in the overview panel to the left (must be the planets list being shown when saving), and there is at least one planet that is colonizable in that list. This particular case would cause an issue where that colonizable planet would need info not yet loaded from the save file at that point.

So, that was the problem. This was now fixed and shall be included in the next version, to be released soon.

Thanks again for your very detailed bug report that has helped fix this issue!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Great that you could pinpoint the problem with that report of mine :)
    I am sorry not to have any savegame that are close to the broken save.
    I only have turn 14 before turn 41. I will look into it and report as soon as I can reproduce it.

What I did before the broken save, was messing around with the planet filters. I looked for a way to revert the order the planets are listed.
    So I figiured it does not work, but up to that point I tried every way to do it.
    That means i klicked i.e. at A-Z once, than again, but the sorting did not switch to Z-A.
    I checked with right click, middle click, double click...
    And then I informed myself about all the possible filter settings and how they could be added.
    Then I saved the game at some point.

Here are some findings I made on the way (no offense, yes I know, its Alpha :)):

The Input of the ISG configuration screen has a jump button.
    Although It would be cool to run and jump around in the game, maybe it is way too early to implement the jump function ;-)

One question: Does the graphics quality setting change anything?
    Or asked other way around: how many levels of different quality is implemented right now?

The loading screen seems to be very GPU demanding. At least while zooming the logo, I can hear the graphic card working somehow.
    This is something I know of from other games at also some places when it maybe could be solved in a way that is way less demanding.
    After the end of the loading, the screen makes a final "jump" to a final zoom stage (without the logo). This behaviour cab maybe avoided.
    I hope you know what I mean. Its a nvidia card. GTX 770

-------------------
    I keep this here to remember for later, I can not describe it now, will try to reproduce later:
    - The ESC button is not calling the Options menue, at least not always from some point.Still have to reproduce
    A typo: (Have to find it again)

The Icon stays active:
    Still have to reproduce

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. Adam Solo

No problem, I see what the issue was and fixed it (namely leaving the outliner in the planets showing with a colonizable planet in it and saving). So, thanks for your help but you don't really need to try and reproduce this issue anymore since it is fixed now. I see that you have a good save at turn 43. If you need a working save at the point (turn 41) let me know and I'll send it to you.

That is helpful info to have, thanks for explaining what you did before ending with the faulty save.

As for the sort functions, they don't sort both ways at the moment but only in the perceived "optimal" way. Example: Mineral richness sorts by mineral richness descending, alphabetical by ascending, etc. We could think in adding the reverse sort at some point.

No offense taken, please keep that feedback coming :)

Could you please clarify what "Jump" button are you referring to? You mean in the panel where you pick your race, or on the game Settings panel in the menu? Could you be a bit more specific?

Good question, and one that I should have answered already in the FAQ.

There are 7 quality levels implemented at the moment. You cannot change the quality in-game, yet, but you can every time you launch the game via the launcher screen.

The 7 quality levels are:
    • Very High: 120 FPS max/cap; 8x anti-aliasing; full textures quality; very high shadows quality
    • High: 120 FPS cap; 4x anti-aliasing; full textures quality; high shadows quality
    • Normal: 60 FPS cap; no anti-aliasing; full textures quality; high shadows quality
    • Low: 30 FPS cap; no anti-aliasing; medium textures quality; no shadows
    • Very Low: 30 FPS cap; no anti-aliasing; low textures quality; no shadows
    • VSynch 1 ON: Same as Normal but with VSync mode "1" on --> for testing purposes, don't worry about this one
    • VSynch 2 ON: Same as Normal but with VSync mode "2" on --> for testing purposes, don't worry about this one
    You're very perceptive. And yes, the game initialization phase is very far from ideal at this stage. Part of it has to do with the way the Unity launcher works. We'll keep working on it, including figuring out ways to smooth out and quicken the way the initialization goes.

Thanks a lot for your support.

6. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Adam, you are one of the politest people I have met so far.
    And you take your precious time to address every point and then also hit the nail on the spot. That is really outstanding. Just WOW.
    I understand that you love to communicate and write and read, and thats where you shine. Sure, all your game critic at space sector was/is proof that your heartblood flows into every sentence.

Well.. enough said :)
    Now you ask me what Jump Button I mean.
    Its this one:
    config.jpg

All other questions of mine are answered, thank you very much!

OOPS, now its not that easy to find the FAQ.
    The Quick-Start-PDF is not clear about the Graphic settings, and the FAQ.. I am blind, but the search function does not deliver..
    Found it:
    https://www.interstellarspacegame.com/faq/

found a typo (asteroid beKt):
    bekt.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  7. Adam Solo

Wow, I don't know what to say, so I'll just say thank you!

Ah, that jump button :) We'll revise the input controls in the next versions, thanks.

Yeah, the forums FAQ is a little buried. You can find it in the "Bug Reports / Tech Support" section. There you have a link to the main FAQ on the game's website, in case you wish to know more details about the game's current status and future. Oh, and you also have the updated Master Plan here.

8. Adam Solo

Fixed, thanks.

\Edit: The issues contained in this bug report were addressed, so I'm going to lock this thread.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.