State of the Game and Call for VIPs

Discussion in 'Development News' started by Adam Solo, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Project Space Sector. A spiritual successor to Master of Orion 2.

We're on a quest to make a great turn-based space 4X game that captures the feeling of Master of Orion 2 and still manage to offer something new.

If you believe this is the game for you, your opportunity to jump on board is now here!

Status Report, as of March 28th, 2017

The vision for the game is established and most of the gameplay systems are already implemented, some in a more complete shape than others.

The game is playable, however some systems are still not implemented. Examples of these include: starbases, bombardment, ground combat, ship refit/upgrade, espionage, race customization and events.

There’s still no AI, or very minimal at this stage. A rudimentary AI is in place to help support the diplomacy and space combat auto-resolve functions. Very basic stuff still.

The AI work will start as of now and is expected to endure for the next 3 months or so where the plan is to have basic AI functionality ready for the public pre-orders with instant access, to open somewhere in the summer.

We find that the UI is serviceable at this stage and we expect it to improve a lot during the course of development.

All the art assets in the game are still placeholders. A first round of art procurement will start now and all assets will be replaced or completed when we launch the pre-orders. Further art and final assets will be procured with the funds raised from the pre-orders.

The major changes since the last report from October 2016 include the following: - new music tracks (credits to our forum member Vivisector 9999), a new building that boosts culture, 2 new leaders, more space monsters, auto-resolve function inside space combat, trade goods, miniaturization, many UI enhancements, new "low quality" models to test different ship styles and shapes, and a lot of bugs squashed.

On February 17th, 2017 we launched the "VIP Session", a closed playtesting program where several people from the community were invited to have access to the current build in order to help us playtest the game and tell us their thoughts and suggestions for improvement.

We received a ton of great feedback from the VIPs which has helped us a lot on shaping the game further and improve it to what we think is a good state for a Pre-Alpha.

Call for VIPs

We can't thank enough to our current VIPs. They have been awesome. The quality of the feedback has been great and the game will no doubt be much better due to their contributions. They will forever be associated with helping the development of this game, on its quest to develop a worthy spiritual successor to Master of Orion 2.

The game is shaping up quite nicely, but it's still in rough shape in many areas and far from completion.

If you're interested in becoming a VIP, we're interested in having you, as we are now issuing a Call for VIPs! We want to gather feedback from more people, and now would be a great time for you to start providing hands-on feedback while the game is still in its early Pre-Alpha stage.

As a VIP, you'll have access to the game immediately and can start telling us what's good, and what's not so good, in order to help us ensure we deliver a great game in the end for everybody.

A special VIP forum is already set up for all the VIP discussions where there will be instructions on where to download the latest build.

By being an active VIP, and by that we mean that you can provide some feedback on the forums and possibly engage with other fellow VIPs, you'd also have the game for free when it releases as for all subsequent DLC and expansions that may come afterwards. You'll also be included in the game credits.

How to Apply for a VIP spot

To apply for a VIP spot you only have to do three simple things (with step number 3. being optional):
    1. Leave a post below stating that you wish to join the VIP program
    2. Register the Project Space Sector (the game) newsletter (click the link and check the newsletter form on the sidebar to the right) so that you can stay in touch with further news about the game development (this is a different newsletter from the old SpaceSector.com blog one)
    3. [OPTIONAL STEP] Tell us why you think you should be considered to be a VIP for this game
    Example of how you should post your comment below to become eligible for selection:
    Note (*): If you don't want to specify your email contact, send me an email with the username you used in the post, so that I can track you and get you running for a spot.

And, that's it, you're in and ready to be considered for selection!

We expect to pick up around 20 more people very soon to join the VIP program at this stage, so if you're interested hurry up and apply today. We may have more VIP calls in the near future (to be decided) up until the summer, so even if you don't make it in this first wave, maybe you can be picked up on a hypothetical next wave. If you're selected, we'll contact you to get you all set up.

So, what do you say?

Thanks!
    Adam Solo & MalRey
    The Dev Team

Screenshots (click to enlarge)
    (graphics are not final)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  2. Iwbtone

Iwbtone Cadet

Ops...just found forum account here is separate from the main spacesector site.
    I have posted a reply there. So I think no need to post here again,right ?

3. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Right, posting here or on the blog site is the same.

4. Iwbtone

Iwbtone Cadet

;) got it !

5. tindrli

tindrli Cadet

Count me in. I would like to join VIP program

6. Misstral

Misstral Cadet

I am interested in joining your program. I am a long-term player of space games and have fairly extensive experience with application testing.

7. SugeBearX

SugeBearX Cadet

I would love to have a crack at alpha/beta testing this game. I have been beta testing games for nearly 20 years (Yeah, I'm old...) and I believe I have provided a lot of valuable feedback over those years. One warning though...I am particularly hard on UIs. I tend to drive folks to distraction with requests for UI fixes and tweaks. There's nothing more important than how players interact with a game, it can make the difference between a wonderful experience and a drink coaster...there I am showing my age again... :)

Anyway, I have time on my hands at the moment so I would love to be considered for a spot on the VIP testing team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Jeff Graw

Jeff Graw Cadet

I'd love to help you guys out. Full disclosure I'm working on my own 4X game (Dominus Galaxia), although that game is more of a MoO 1 spiritual successor than a MoO 2 one so there shouldn't be too much overlap.

The main reason I'd like to become a VIP? It's because from what I can see so far, you guys have a very large emphasis on design, more so than most other 4X projects, and I can think/talk about 4X design until I'm blue in the face. Keep in mind, my agenda is to maximise strategic depth and minimise non-strategic busy work, which will most likely butt heads with some of MoO 2's sacred cows.

Why would you want me as a VIP? Well, I'm something of a Unity wizard, so in addition to design I can assist in a technical capacity. For example, in your sixth screenshot the angled screen space camera UI elements have ugly aliasing at the top and bottom. This can be fixed easily, without any need for anti-aliasing. Simply add a row or two of transparent pixels to the aliased edge of the texture, and filtering will take care of the rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Finestra

Finestra Lieutenant

Count me in, I'm game for testing.

10. The Asgard

The Asgard Cadet

Massive space fan and software developer ( not games ). I'm up to do a bit of testing and help you guys help

11. Camphibian

Camphibian Cadet

Sign me up!

P.S. I played MOO2 so much that I defined my own winning conditions.
    I called it the 'Android Takeover'.
    The game is played on the hardest level.
    You must have researched all the techs
    You must build every building on every planet
    You must terraform every planet to maximum
    You cannot exterminate any race.
    You cannot win the game thus the game goes on forever.
    You begin the 'Android Takeover' by building colony ships for your pop.
    You then send the colonists into the sun.
    You build Androids to replace them. I prefer to create Android Scientists.
    You must replace all the population.
    But you must also keep one Zoo world, with 1 pop from every player and the rest Android Scientists.
    You can only keep 1 scout in orbital blockade around other player planets.
    You are allowed only 1 mobile fleet containing 1 ship.
    Add other restrictions as necessary.
    Warning! The game will crash like crazy around the time you clock the amount of cash.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  12. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Hello all,

Just a couple of quick comments for anyone considering answering Adam's call... DO IT!

I'm part of the community already involved in this and I have two things to share with you.

The game feels like Moo2!

The game brings innovation to the genre!

This project is on the right track, so join the party and help in any manner you can.

Peace to you all.

13. Marcel

Marcel Cadet

Enlisting for a VIP spot :)
    I'm a software developer (web primary) for 20 years and therefore have a good technical background and experience in ui/useability. Very active as a gamer for over 25 years and played many titles like MOO2.
    And I would love to help with a german localization (when the time comes for that ;) )

14. Yrth

Yrth Cadet

SIgn me up please for a VIP spot.

I am a long year fan of MoO/MoO2 and very disappointed about the recent MoO relaunch. Looking forward to see a rea successor to MoO2 with some new features.

15. karstjo

karstjo Cadet

I'd love to enter this supporting as a VIP. I am very interested in 4x games but not a diehard that uses 100's of hours on one game. I am very fond of the exploration in games so an honorable mention to Star Control 2 as well for me. Loved Moo2 and was a regular read of your articles cause it responded well with my own opinions. High hopes for you guys! :)

16. Nick

Nick Cadet

Hey guys!

You guys are making awesome progress on the game. I would love to be an VIP and help you test this awesome game.

Well I guess I would like to help test and be part of this game development. Mo02 was my very first 4x turned based game I ever played when I was just a wee lad. I have played most of the 4x games that have come out in the recent years.

Other then that I know that helping test a game is more than just playing it. You must try and brake the game and push it to its limits. When you do find a bug you must write down what you did to get to that point and then you must try and reproduce the bug.

Well keep up the good work!

17. Possibility

Possibility Ensign

I'd like to help out. I am a software dev who loves playing 4X games. It looks like you are making great progress so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Camphibian

Camphibian Cadet

It seems like an inordinate number of 4x players are software devs.

19. zoltan

zoltan Cadet

Please let me join the VIP program!
    I'm a long time Moo2 player, played it in multiplayer even in last year. I was always looking for a good successor. I like other 4x games, civ4 is my other favorite next to moo2.
    You can expect feedback for the game from me. thanks.