Well, if you have to have buildings...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reformations, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Cybermantas

Cybermantas Cadet

Besides Combat (which I think we have fairly established needs to be TBS and not RTS), this is the other most important aspect of a successful 4X game for me.

Space 4X is meant for TBS combat, and everything else is a means to that end (e.g. Research for better weapons, ship designs and systems and overall production). Referring to OPs (@Reformations) posts and thoughts, I am completely in sync with them. I have made another post on a game called "Polaris Sector" for the same reason - empire management is nicely simplified so that Building queues are not needed, just colony role. Which is especially important if the empire is to have 10+ colonies (or some other number beyond which individual control of colonies bogs down the game).

Moo1 had it right simplifying planet management (ofcourse, we wont have just sliders today). Moo1 style helped with late game empire management immensely and didnt let the game slow down as much as every other 4X (space or otherwise) that I have played.

If I needed those features, then there are already many games with those - this is my view and counter to folks requesting for this feature on the grounds of realism, immersion etc.

tl;dr - Abstracting building the way Moo1 did, is much better for scaling in late game and helps retain focus on Combat which is key component of a successful 4X for me