What controls if I'm given an option to fight in a monster encounter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Summoner, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Summoner

Summoner Cadet

I've encountered two monsters so far. A crystalline entity that triggered tactical combat with my frigate; and which I was able to escape by using auto resolve. My second encounter was with a space dragon. In this case I wasn't given any options and was just informed that my survey ship was dead and given no opportunity to do anything about it.

2. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

Hi Summoner, welcome to the forums!

Fleets containing both military and civilian ships are allowed to retreat, but civilian ships on their own are immediately destroyed by space monsters and can't retreat.

It is generally a good idea to have a military ship visit a system for the first time before you send in a civilian ship such as a colony ship, survey ship, outpost ship, or support ship. If there is a monster there, the military ship will always reveal it.

Alternatively, if you have "Full" information about a system, perhaps due to repeated remote exploration efforts, you will also know with certainty whether a monster is present or not.

3. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Lieutenant

Also, I *think* Ship Leaders get XP when accompanying a survey ship and it increases the scan level of a system--the tool tips certainly imply this--so it's not a bad idea to stick one on a frigate to travel around with the survey ship anyway.

Can you confirm if that's the case, Recluse?

4. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

I'll confirm it for you. It's suggested to add a leader both in the quick start guide and via tool tip. It's an excellent way to level up a ship leader, especially someone like Anthony Yang.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Ensign

Monsters being static seems very 1990's and not very interesting when you figure out the force you need to beat them after one game..

More should be done with these to make the galaxy feel alive.Sword of the stats,Stars in shadow,Stellaris,ect are good pointers.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019