Plot's Wish List

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PlotinusRedux, Oct 17, 2019.

1. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Lieutenant

Just a wish list--I know there's already a *lot* going into 1.05, and some things I want others might not want, or might have game balance implications, or be low priority.

1. Tech and/or Wonder victory options;
    2. Combat convenience features:
      1. Automatically selecting next ship once the current one is out of action points;
      2. Hotkey (space bar?) to select next ship, maybe also via right mouse button;
      3. Hotkey to end combat round (enter?);
      4. Movement as far as possible in a direction when cursor is beyond range but not an a target--currently you have to manually find the exact point at which the cursor turns into an arrow.
    3. Strategic Resource balancing (low priority):
      • Diminishing returns on strategic resources, or perhaps cutting the Helium-3 bonuses in half since it's so easy to get. May only be relevant to me, or maybe should be how it is anyway--this is a run-away game where I've focused on SR, but I've currently got 26 Helium-3 and 9 Anti-Matter for a 350% population growth bonus and +11 production per pop. Or maybe a chance for Gas Giants to have no Helium-3.
      • Neutronium Armor Coating's outright immunity to beam weapons for all ships seems overpowered and/or removes some fun from the game by making an entire weapon class useless.
    4. Some mechanic to make fleeing from combat harder. Maybe make it take 1-3 combat rounds randomly, or 25% ship is destroyed, or only possible if a non-hostile system is in range and not blockaded or occupied by an enemy fleet (maybe also with "in range" meaning reachable within 2 turns).

2. Wodzu

Wodzu Lieutenant

If I remember correctly MOO2 had technology to prevent ship from escaping, was a Gravity Generator, or Tractor Beam? Long time passed since I've played it so it might be a product of my imagination though:D

3. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Lieutenant

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

This is awesome, thanks a lot!

By the way, the different fleet travelling line colors are the following:

Green: Your fleets travelling on the map.
    Yellow: Your fleets travelling on the map going through or soon to be travelling through nebula with speed reduction.
    Red: Rival fleets incoming to a system with a settlement belonging to the player and the empires are at war.
    Blue: Rival fleets incoming or not-incoming which you may or may not be at war with.

5. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Lieutenant

I've been building my new computer (finally upgraded from a 6 year old 4770k to a 3700x just because it seemed like time, the 4770k wasn't slowing anything down--mainly wanted a motherboard with M.2 slots for space savings). I'm back up now, updated with the travel line colors.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  6. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Lieutenant

Now what is irritating me is, if you download the image itself for the galaxy map, it looks sharp, but on the wiki page, it looks blurred, even though it is displaying it in the original resolution. You can still read it, but the original image is:

Galactice Map Marked.png

Fandom displays at the same, original resolution:

Galactic_Map_Marked_wiki.png

I tracked it down to the original png is 162k, the one it is displaying is 34k, so it's applying some massive lossy compression to it that is documented nowhere and the fandom staff has no idea what's going on. Even saving it as a jpg myself, it doesn't look anything close to that bad.

I'm really starting to regret using fandom at all (and they own gamepedia now as well), instead of just hosting it on my webserver where I could have used an actual database, javascript, tooltips hovering over parts of the image, etc.--fandom forces a straight jacket on the theory it makes it easier for non-technical people to edit pages.

7. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

It's good enough, don't worry about it.

Thanks!

\Edit: Just a note. The "Red: Enemy fleet headed to one of your settlements in war time" lines do not require the "Rival Fleet Lines Overlay" enabled (they show every time), only the "Blue: Rival fleets" that are not headed to your settlements do. So, the "Rival Fleet Lines" overlay only switches on/off rival fleets that are not headed to your settlements. So, always shown are only rival fleets headed to your settlements. The overlay then can show all rival fleets destinations in sensors range (if you happen to have at least the Quantum Scanner, or you'll not be able to see the destinations).

8. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Lieutenant

If only it were that simple. I can't *not* worry about it. I've already spent over 40 hours just trying to find CSS it would accept to get tables to look decent. I'm a bit OCD--I used to write everything in assembly because I couldn't tolerate the inefficiencies of compiled C code (I finally learned to get over that except for tight loops). I have found it distorts white text less, I may have to redo all the maps with white text if I can't make fandom stop its lossy nonsense.

I updated the text to indicate the overlay is only needed for non-incoming fleets and requires at least Quantum Scanner tech.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  9. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Lieutenant

10. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Lieutenant

https://interstellar-space-genesis.fandom.com/wiki/Galactic_Map. It's clear now by using an undocumented feature that also prevents it from showing anything on mobile--but I also made a template that did what the fandom staff said couldn't be done--detect mobile vs desktop without being able to use javascript or CSS @media, and serve different html to each. So mobile also still gets an image--albeit the blurry version. But I think I can live with that.

11. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

I apologize for any "disagreeing" I did in this thread. My mobile phone was acting up and evidently tapping on actions when I would read posts.

Thanks again for all the work you've put into the fandom page. It looks great!

12. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Lieutenant

Lol, I wondered why you disagreed with me updating my computer--I thought maybe you just really liked the old 4770k processor....

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

Haha! Well, I do love an older processor as much as the next guy, but nope, a 3700x seems like a great upgrade. I've been considering going with that processor myself actually.