Use of obsolete engines and armours

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kharn, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Kharn

Kharn Lieutenant

[game version 1.1.1 stable steam]

Hi, it would be nice to be able to use outdated engines (less space) and armours (cheaper). This could provide new tactics for build and using system defence fleet where most update engines/armour are not required. This is only a suggestion for further development.

2. medway

medway Lieutenant

If you don't update /save your design doesn't it keep the old stuff?

3. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

You are correct, but I don't think that is what he means. I believe he wants the option of creating "new" designs with obsolete armor and engines, with the trade off being more space for other components. I'm not sure how viable that would be as they could be quite fragile. There is an old navy analogy that comes to mind, and eggshell armed with a sledgehammer.

4. medway

medway Lieutenant

Hi yes figured he meant that, just saying that if you pre-plan then you can save some designs without updating to try this strategy out.

Agree though that it might not be worth the hassle.

5. Konstantine

I'm afraid that wouldn't work my friend. He wouldn't be able to gain the extra space that way, they would just be obsolete designs.

Yes, playing something like this in my head shows me ships with slower combat movement and lighter defenses. SP long range weapons would tear them apart easily I would think.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  6. medway

medway Lieutenant

Ah forgot about the space part :) I was thinking lots of cheap units. What I'd like to see is the ability to create more satellite defense (in other words no engines so more space for other stuff, which is similar to the original idea here).

7. Konstantine

I proposed something like that years ago, ships without FTL drives with reduced maintenance, (I think it was MoO3 that had something like that). But to be honest, practically speaking, I don't see the need. Besides, in this game, ships sometimes are at a premium, best to have them mobile so they can be where you need them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kharn

Kharn Lieutenant

Yes, I wanted to get something similar, but I did it in MoO2 to build a defence fleet for a valuable system. But this was reflection, because you can use obsolete shields, so why this is not allowed for engines and armour ?

9. Konstantine

I believe armor was coded to upgrade to the latest available automatically once you attempt to create a design, a long time ago, it use to upgrade automatically on your existing ships, but that was a bug. To be honest with you, I think this was simply a design choice.

10. medway

medway Lieutenant

Support points would still apply even with reduced parts like FTL or weaker shields so yes in this game it might not be worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1