What benefit does the Illusion Materializer provide?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KarasLegacy, Oct 9, 2020.

1. KarasLegacy

KarasLegacy Ensign

So when I've seen the IM used, I can see that its an illusion by hovering over the ship. Is there a % chance I detect it? Otherwise it just seems that its clogging the area but otherwise not having any effect.

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

The enemy will not know if you have illusions, and even if they did they don't know which is the illusion and which is the real ship. Attacking the illusion and hitting it will make it disappear but a shot from that ship will be lost and then you can attack it with your real ship. This for every ship you have equipped with the Illusion Materializer special, and for as long as you have sources of dark matter.

3. KarasLegacy

KarasLegacy Ensign

So when I hover over certain ships it will say something like "Syris CR [Illusion]". So is that text a lie, just to properly confuse me about which ones are illusions?

4. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

I see. The issue is that the enemy ships will say "Illusion" in the name. I'll fix that, thanks.

5. KarasLegacy

KarasLegacy Ensign

Oh so that's not intentional, okay then that would make the ability better:)

So one of the issues with the ability, is that there is a simple way around it....if your willing "annoy yourself greatly".

Take one ship, and put a single heavy mount laser in every slot (probably with continuous for maximum chance to hit). Then when a fight starts where you know the enemy has been using this ability, you simply turn off all weapons except 1, and systematically fire a ship at a time, testing for illusions.

That is as effective as it is annoying to do. Perhaps the illusion could be a little more durable, such as it only goes away when you get through the shields and strike armor? That way at least I have to commit to hunting down the illusions...and at that point they are doing their job.

6. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Ensign

That is actually pretty funny.