"A threat was found in a file on your computer."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Martok, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Martok

Martok Cadet

Hey, guys: Just a heads-up that I just got the following:

[​IMG]

The screenshot doesn't show it, but the "threat" was removed from ISG's files. Naturally, the game no longer runs, so I uninstalled it for now. (I plan to reinstall it once the 2nd DLC is out.) I realize this almost certainly isn't actually a virus, but I figured I'd post it here in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

Thanks for the report. As security vendors become more and more reliant on artificial intelligence and behavioral heuristics to detect abnormal behavior, false positives are certain to occur. Games, as opposed to business applications, seem to be particularly prone to this due to how they behave. I know I've had to restored deleted files and whitelist some of my games after my anti-malware software got a bit overzealous.

Our best course of action with something like this is typically to submit the file to the vendor and ask they analyze it. There's no guarantee they will, but the hope is it saves some other players from using the save AV engine from encountering this. Do you happen to know what file it deleted?

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  3. Martok

Martok Cadet

Hey, Kieth! Appreciate your response.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what I figured the issue is. Quite a few folks (including myself) have run into similar instances when trying to play Birth of the Federation (due to how old the game is, I'm guessing?), so I'm familiar with the problem. On top of that, I just purchased my current PC less than two months ago, so the anti-virus software is still "figuring out" what is and isn't safe.

Unfortunately, I have no idea which file it was that the anti-virus software removed. The only reference I have is that "Win64/Agent.BGH" that's displayed on the screenshot I posted. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  4. Dewbacca

Dewbacca Cadet

Yep, you and I both were there when Thunderchero had to petition the AV companies to stop tossing out our trek.exe!

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  5. vmxa

vmxa Commander

I had a battle with Norton last week about an app I had that was years old. They never did get back to me, so I marked it as excluded.

6. Martok

Martok Cadet

Yeah, that was...irritating.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1