100% MOO2 clone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JOM, Oct 19, 2016.

1. JOM

JOM Ensign

I would like to ask the devs if they want to create "the" perfect MOO2 clone with all MOO2 game mechanics included? Or do they want to replace some of its mechanics with own designs? If yes, what exactly will be new? Thanks for any info.

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Think Sid's one third rule, for when they develop a new Civilization game. Sid Meier says the following in order for them to keep the Civilization franchise fresh but still familiar in each new installment. “We have a rule: one third, one third, one third. For the next game, one third will stay the same: those core aspects. One third will be systems that we like but think could be improved, and one third will be new ideas,” he says.

That's what has guided us in our development process for the MoO2 spiritual successor. Of course, the numbers may not be those exactly in our case, could be more 40% / 40% / 20%, or something on those lines, but that's the philosophy that we took.

Now, and since we're still at pre-alpha, it's up for you guys to tell us how much you'd want to shift the "same", "tweaked/improved" and "new" on the scale for each system, and tell us if you're liking what you're seeing. That's what this road from pre-alpha to alpha1 will be about.

Exploration has new mechanics, which are novel to MoO2. And to the genre as well, to the extent that I'm aware. But the exploration core of MoO2 remains, of course. The way ships move around, how you know where stars are at the beginning but not the contents until you reveal them, and the core characteristics of planets (planet richness, gravity, planet type), etc. Terraforming was substantially expanded as a concept and mechanically from MoO and MoO2, to the point that it probably qualifies as new stuff. There's strategic resources now, tied in with the game's progression, in terms of both the exploration and the tech system. There's a social engineering system now, something that MoO and MoO2 didn't have. Different races also prefer different planet types now. There's a couple of new mechanics to the combat system, which will be MoO2's combat system at its core, of course. And among other things.

Things will be clearer as the dev diaries come out, and we'll have plenty of opportunity to discuss all the mechanics in detail. And that's when you take the stage and tell us what you'd like to keep the same, tweak/improve or innovate, always not violating the fundamentals that we listed in the announcement, and the overall vision to develop a Master of Orion 2 spiritual successor that also offers something new to look for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JOM

JOM Ensign

thank you for your interesting reply. I hope you dont introduce too many new features. The talented devs of MOO2 did a masterful job in creating probably the best 4x game today. Most elements are working perfectly with each other. Eg. simple ground combat, troop transports, freighters, outposts, colony bases, choice from 3 available techs etc.

I think the reason all former "successors" of MOO2 didnt do well untill now is because their devs think they are better in creating rules and game mechanics than those MOO guys from older days and that hybris is the problem.

Instead of just improving AI, adding more techs and modding and updating graphics to modern age they introduced their own wonky ideas like realtime combat (like stardrive 2 or MOO4) or tilebased ground combat (stardrive 2) and many real fans of the original didnt appreciate this. this IMO is why all MOO2 clone projects failed up to now.

4. dayrinni

dayrinni Ensign

I am curious to hear if you can give any initial few thoughts on how you'll be handling terraforming? I think, most games speed it up greatly, rather than it being a really long term plan. What route do you intend to go?

5. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

I understand your curiosity to know more details on terraforming at this stage, but that will have to come when we do the Colony Development dev diary, so that we can focus on a specific topic at a time.

For now, it would be awesome if everybody could share what they would like to see and experience with respect to terraforming, and other topics. That will help us understand your desires better, so that we can continue filling up that Community Feedback List, which we'll share with you and keep updating from time to time.

6. JOM

JOM Ensign

Ok, my take on this is that I hope that you dont change the original too much. I would be very happy to see an update on graphics, interface, some new techs and modding and not much else. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mark

Mark Ensign

I'd second this sentiment. MOO 2 worked extremely well because it was extremely well designed. Almost all the so-called MOO clones either failed dismally or were merely mediocre because the devs deviated in major ways from the original by inserting their own "brilliant" design concepts which sadly didn't turn out to be quite so brilliant after all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bigmo

Bigmo Ensign

You guys could probably accommodate everyone tastes if you can work out the modularity aspect of every section of the game. For example, you could make ground combat work exactly the same as MOO2 for starter. Then depending on votes or request, you could make a ground combat DLC that could be turn on and off in the main menu. The said module could be an RTS style map based on available building, terrain and troops of the invaded planet or it could be a turn-based wargame like map with a limited number of action by game turn making land invasion last more than one turn.

You could then decide to make RTS, TBS and original style available at the push of a button during the game or of course allow auto-resolution. Other ideas of such DLC to expand gameplay could include FPS for ship boarding actions or certain spying missions, puzzle like mini-games to unlock special bonuses or artefacts upon the discovery of items in alien ruins or abandoned spaceships, mini-quests to improve diplomacy, etc...

In essence, any aspect of the game that the resolution is provided by some probability calculation could be resolved as such or through some sort of interactive interchangeable component, that provides different gaming types to different gamers. So long as you can work out the modularity aspect of the initial build.