Filter or Sort by "Exploration Level"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rxnnxs, Jul 24, 2017.

1. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

The title says it all.
    It would come in handy when starting to lay the course for the exploration Ship.

2. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Could I ask you to elaborate my friend? Are you using the survey ship to speed up the exploration of sectors? I mostly use them to get system info quickly and rely on my remote exploration for sector info.

3. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Ensign

The strategic map needs to have an option for show exploration levels.Having to click in each system is wasted time.

4. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Yes, when using explorer Ships it would be nice to see where you have to go to :)

So Ashbery76 has a point there, or you can sort in the System Overview for explored systems.
    I did not explain this correct, sorry.

This would come in handy:
    filter.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

As an adition to that, this Filter could also show Systems instead of planets, because exploration level is systemwide.
    This way the list is shorter.
    If in the future there are plans to explore planets one after another, sure this would not be possible.
    Then it would be nice to add even a Star Filter :)

6. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

OK, I'm starting to understand better, might be better to hold off until survey ships are fully fleshed out before deciding what additional filters could be useful. There has been talk of some very exciting things for them in the future versus their current role

7. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Scanning status can be different at three different levels: sector, system and planet. You may have an unexplored sector but contain a system that is scanned at basic level (by a military ship, for example) and a particular planet in that system at full scan (when you establish outposts or colonies you reveal the system object's full information). In this case it would be: sector (none), system (basic), planet (full).

So, the different scanning status need to be shown at different levels. The remote exploration overlay gives you information on sector level. The Planets list on the outliner gives you scanning information at the planet level (we may have to add the scanning info to the Strategic Resources list, as well). Being able to sort the scanning status at the planet level is a good idea, we'll consider adding it.

As for the scanning status at system level there isn't a quick way to know the big picture at the moment, like Ashbery76 said, and you have to go and check one system at the time to know. Arguably, you may be more interested in knowing the scanning status at planet level rather than system but I can see where it may be useful to know the systems' scanning status at once, as well.

What we could do in the systems case is provide a togglable overlay in the Starmap UI (next to the borders/sensor range, etc) to switch ON/OFF information on all systems' scanning status. What do you think?

8. MizzouRah

MizzouRah Cadet

I think for remote scanning.. there maybe needs to be a tech you have to research first... just a thought.

9. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

That would do the trick :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Hmm, I do not know if it has been adressed, but this filter (colonizable) would come in handy:

filter.jpg

Or is there a way to filter uncolonizable planets?
    For instance: if it is in rival territory, it is inside the planets list, but of course sometimes you want to filter that out,

11. Adam Solo

Filtering out uncolonizable worlds from the planets list isn't supported yet. There is indication if the planet is colonizable or not in the planets list (each planet shows if it's colonizable), and you can see which systems have colonizable worlds in the starmap by switching on a starmap layer for that effect.

However, I see what you mean. If planets happen to be inside rival territory, and you don't have an alliance with them, you'll not be able to colonize those, even if they are "colonizable" from a biome standpoint. Unless you declare war on that rival, and then you can. We do inform you if that's the case however. The colonizable icon's tooltip (the tent with the checkmark) will tell you why you can or cannot colonize that world.

So, your question is if we should have a way to filter out uncolonizable worlds. We took note of this and will give it a thought to include in a next version.

Thanks!

12. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Yes, exactly. it is kind of hard to differ the red X and the green checkmark for me, and nonetheless it would be nice if the colonizable planets could be looked at without the uncolonizable planets.

As a side note, as a future feature, a button for easy colonization would be also nice.

In MOOII you could send (if existing) a col ship (or outpost ship) with one click to the selected planet.
    even better would be, when a second colonize button would be implemented, so that then the planet, that would finish it first (+included travel time) could be commanded to build a col ship and then send that col ship to this planet..

At the colony overview, another icon would be helpful:
    even out.jpg

While clicking at the three icons, we can spend 100% on this.
    If we want to even it out, we have to go into colony view.
    To do it faster, this Icon shown above would help us manage the galaxy faster.

Another side note: When clicking at an already 100% icon, the message box still pops up. This is not needed, because it is already at 100%.
    An alternative to the bulls eye icon would be, to click a second time on those icons (does not matter which) and the question would come up, if we want to even out the spending again.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Also a filter for specific selections would be cool.

Again, I made a nice pic :)

filter2.jpg

So when you for instance select the Explored Planet Overview and there select Sort by Planet type,
    under it there could be another filter.
    Look at the pic, the place is already there in this case.

This way you could use this for various reasons.
    What tech do you want to get, ice colonization or acid? Well, if you could filter here, you would know quick how many and where they are in the galaxy.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Adam Solo

Thanks for the suggestions, and for the nice pics, that helps a lot! :)

Nice ideas. One can already focus 100% on infrastructure, terraforming or production by clicking in the icons. However, clicking again to even out is an interesting idea. We'll consider it.

As for filtering out planets by biome, I can see that being helpful when there's lots of available planets in the galaxy. We also took note of that. Thanks!

15. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Thank you very much for considering it.:thumbsup: