One more thing I'd like to see...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe3, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Joe3

Joe3 Ensign

In MOO2, I really, really liked the ability to update ships. For example, you could build a destroyer early in the game, update it countless times, and with a bit of luck, still have it around at the end of the game. And it was cheaper than building a brand new ship.

However, that said, updating (or refitting) one ship at a time was something of a pain. I wish there were a way to upgrade/refit an entire class of ships with one click. OK, ok, I said I was wishing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. dayrinni

dayrinni Ensign

I think this is pretty possible. For example, Hearts of Iron 4 offers upgrading on mass. So I don't see why it isn't possible. :) Hopefully the devs can look to HoI4 for some ideas on this idea, if they choose to implement it :)

3. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

There are numerous mechanics for upgrading ship classes, some are even fun
    You could go the easy route which would be a mass upgrade of all ships in a class for a one time fee...
    or you could even try a novel approach, something along the lines of one or two ships dedicated to upgrading other ships.
    In other words you select the upgrade ship and position it with a group of other ships. when a class is upgraded, this ship would then automatically upgrade any relevant ships it is stacked with at the rate of one large or two small ships per turn, no added cost, just the cost of the "upgrade ship".
    This route would give you a different approach without adding significant micromanagement. At times when there are no upgrades to perform, the ship(s) would be removed from the front lines.
    I would find this more realistic than a mass one time payment and far less of a hassle than sending each and everyone of your ships to a base for refit.

4. Joe3

Joe3 Ensign

ChrisKonstantine, you reminded me of another option I used in MOO2: upgrading some ships with special purpose weapons or equipment instead of making them all alike. But in any case, I'd still like the ** option** of upgrading all of a certain class with one click.

5. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

It was that kind of subtlety in Moo2 that made the whole game enjoyable Joe3 and the reason why designing your own ships actually mattered. If your enemy deployed lots of missiles you designed some point defense ships and countered.
    P.S. I agree with you on retaining the option of a mass upgrade, it will appeal to more gamers and to myself for those times when I am feeling a bit lazy