Vote called with just the two us left

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vmxa, Nov 29, 2018.

1. vmxa

vmxa Commander

Just when I thought I was done with finding issues for this map, got the vote for the council. I guess the other race could vote for me, but never saw any game where they did, if they were on the ballot.

2. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Cab you clarify a bit, there was just two of you left yes? Was the galaxy heavily populated at the time or did you depopulate it during your campaigns?

3. vmxa

vmxa Commander

I killed off all races, except the Humans at the time the vote was called. It surprised me to see it. I think they had two colonies on two systems and maybe 1 or 2 outpost left. A few turns later all were gone.

In Moo1/2 and think 3 as well as civ to name a few, you can not have a vote with only two left in the game. I suspect this is just an over sight.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Perhaps we shouldn't allow votes with only two races in the game, or only two races left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Perhaps take it further than that... if only two are left, and one is about three times more powerful, maybe the weaker party could offer to surrender. The player could then elect to accept, ending the game and doing away with the mop up, or he could refuse it and play it through if he/she enjoys the mop-up

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. vmxa

vmxa Commander

Not having a vote is the norm when there are two parties, so that is what most players would expect. It does not have to be a requirement. I was just unsure, if it was by design or not.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Edward the Hun

Edward the Hun Moderator Lieutenant

As suggested, if the voting is removed for a two party scenario, the "losing" faction should be surrender happy since we want to avoid late game grind of finishing off already finished off foes.

The other option we can have is when you are allied with everyone and everyone else is allied with each other, you win the game. This way if the game ends with two parties alive and they are allied it ends the game. We do want to avoid the need to break a long standing alliance and wage a "fake war" to win the game.

I imagine this situation will arise less soften when we have all the xenos in the game. *hides his stash of melta-guns and heavy bolters*

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

It was by design, not to remove a function of the game (Galactic Council) if the game has only two players. Of course, there would be no reason for the two empires not to vote for themselves. Still, it's a way to win. And, we may have "defy the council" mechanics, or a way to address late game mop-up by having the AI empire surrender to the player, as Konstantine suggests. This is something that still needs to be sort out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. vmxa

vmxa Commander

It is not an issue for me to have the vote with two players. It would not be a problem to allow a surrender as long as I could not accept it. If that were to trigger a war or just go on as though no vote was called, I am fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Edward the Hun

Edward the Hun Moderator Lieutenant

As I said in another thread, the Council is more a mechanic to avoid the snowball grind that plagues the late game in 4X games. By removing it in this circumstance you need to then implement other mechanisms to allow a timely victory when victory is evident.

It's a fun thought to entertain to see if interesting mechanics can't be considered, new ideas are always great to explore. Ergo why I mused it before. However, in the end we need to always remember how the sausage is made and why it's made the way it is.

• Agree Agree x 1