I seem to not understand shielding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vmxa, Dec 6, 2018.

1. vmxa

vmxa Commander

Can someone tell me, if damage should have been done or not in this case. A frigate has class II shields. That I thought meant basically 20 of damage absorbed. I have a shield pierce mod, but no damage was done to any part of the ship.

I will have to check, but I think I had two of the early kinetic beams on heavy mount. They do 10 dmg each. Should not the ship taken some damage?

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Can you give a bit more details? You say you fired a shield piercer weapon towards a ship with shields up but no damage was done to any part of the ship. Can you confirm that your blast did hit in the first place? If it doesn't hit you should not get a "hit" effect. The weapon blast will just "pass-through" the ship.

20 shield strength means the total damage the ship can absorb before letting damage through, yes (the exception being any weapon with the shield piercer modification). Shields also have a blockage rate, which is damaged negated at the top, then the remaining "damage" hits the shields and "eats" shield strength (shields absorb the damage).

3. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Yes some more info would be helpful. I used shield piercing weapons extensively and haven't seen any anomalous behaviour so far... My weapons pass through even the heaviest of shields and when I score a hit, the target is damaged accordingly without the shields being affected.

4. MalRey

MalRey Developer Lieutenant

Yeah, combat feedback is something that need further improvement. We'll work on that. Feel free to suggest anything regarding this aspect.

5. vmxa

vmxa Commander

I had several fights and all ended with zero damage. It is possible no hits were scored. I do not know what the indications would be for a hit, other than sometimes an explosion graphic is displayed. I can't say, if that is the only true proof of a hit. I have seen a couple of different impact displays.

The weapon used was a particle accelerator. What can I observe that will tell me a miss was score or a hit, other than some of the components on the ship having reduced values?

BTW I had two destroyers and they had a single frigate, in most of the battles. A couple times I had a single DD and they had the one frigate.

6. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Hi my friend, I use that weapon quite a lot, the actual variant being heavy, auto-fire, and shield piercing. Against an FF it seldom hits, I usually track those down with fast missiles and leave the Particle beam for heavier ships where it has a much better chance of scoring a hit. When it does, you will see the damage inflicted. This is with advanced targeting algorithms by the way, without them, the beam is very in-effective.

7. vmxa

vmxa Commander

Thanks, this was my first attempt to use this weapon. I was also using missiles in prior games. I expect I did have at least the first tech for improved targeting. I tend to get it, without a huge delay. Not a top top priority, but not skipped for long either. I had already decide to go back to missiles as at least they would have forced a retreat from the frigate.

8. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

The combat log can also be useful for reviewing what happened. I used it a lot when I ran into combat bugs in the early pre-alphas.

9. vmxa

vmxa Commander

I have not been able to find the log. No setting, no icon, no idea where to go to see it.

10. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

There is a combat log button when in combat. I am not at my PC right now, but I can send a screenshot later if you'd like.

11. vmxa

vmxa Commander

Ah, that is why I do not see it. Need to be in combat to get the log. I was thinking along the civ4 lines. Thank you sir.