Outpost Ships

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rxnnxs, Dec 9, 2018.

1. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

After reading some threads today, I will come up with a question regarding the outpost ships.
    I did a search regarding outposts and did not find any thread discussing my following thought in detail. I can though remember that I wrote this down in some thread.

In one thread, the question came up how to mine helium and other resources. For mining purposes, an outpost comes in handy. I always favor asteroids before planets.
    And this is the question: Why and for what reason should I put an outpost onto a planet?

a) to expand the range of the ships
    b) to express ownership

- After building more than one Outpost one the same planet, could a colony be created or could be any bonus done?

- are there any more things we can do with outpost ships?

Or to say it a bit different: I feel there is a little bias between using outposts to mine resources and to use them to "just" place an outpost at a planet.

Maybe I overlooked something; I did not even play the game through with all the techs, but this is my question :)

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Outposts are more useful towards exploitation, yes. However, they can also be useful at expanding your range. Establishing an outpost to express ownership on a planet is also a good point, because you can then build a colony on that same planet and others cannot, unless they declare war.

So, to reply directly to your question, the reasons to put an outpost on a planet are: a) to expand your range if no other more useful asset exists on that star system; and b) to express ownership.

In the past we entertained the thought of outposts being able to exploit planets in some manner, but that never left the drawing board.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Thank you for your fast answer.
    This is very useful and as a reminder to know why and for what they are being used.
    And like I mentioned, to stack them so after you land outposts as much as worth a colony ship on the same planet, you get a colony. If I remember correct, there was also a discussion about this more than once, the last one is not that long ago, and it was said, that it would imbalance the game?! I am not sure if I remember correct. Although it would not be imbalanced if you implement it the way it is not imbalanced :)

4. vmxa

vmxa Commander

In Moo2 an outpost would give you a marine barracks, if you later colonized. If you did not need the barracks, it could be sold and give some money (BC).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Very interesting, I never recognized that!
    I just remember that MoO3 allowed to land outposts as many as you wanted - and it began to be a colony when you had 1 million people on the planet.

6. vmxa

vmxa Commander

Hum, I did not recall that in Moo3, maybe did not even know it to recall. Been 4 or 5 years, since I played Moo3.