I was surprised to see that the saves are still in the same location, after going to steam

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vmxa, Dec 16, 2018.

1. vmxa

vmxa Commander

Usually steamapps save in MyGames. I checked to see that the shortcut pointed to the steam location and it does.
    Not an issue, just wondered.

2. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

This is common actually. Many Steam games save in one of the C:\users\username\appdata folders. This includes the roaming, local, and LocalLow folders. These are typically used because the user does not require any special permissions (such as local admin rights to the PC) to save files there.

Looking at my collection, I have dozens of games storing save files in one of those 3 locations.

EDIT: You are correct though, some games do use the documents\My Games folder. Civ VI, Grim Dawn, Fallout 4 all do for example. All are valid places to store the saves.

3. vmxa

vmxa Commander

Yeah, I had checked on my civ3/4 to see, but not 5 or 6. I was just afraid that I had not pointed to the steam install, np. BTW I played a ton of GD. Waiting for the next addon to get back. Well, that and the 4 or 5 others games I am trying to finish.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  4. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

You sir, have good taste in games! I too am waiting on Grim Dawn's Forgotten Gods expansion. I may or may not have over 500 hours in the game (...I do). Also was disappointed with Civ VI at launch due to the AI, but I'm getting excited to pick up both expansions when Gathering Storm releases.

5. vmxa

vmxa Commander

I like civ6, but not as much as III. I did not care for V, though I am told that the addons made it better. I abandon after a few weeks, many issues, yikes. Anyway did not want to give them a bunch of money for all the addons to find out.

Haha, steam says I have 1407 hrs of GD, a fraction of my old D3 play (none in last few years).

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  6. Jeff Graw

Jeff Graw Cadet

It's a Unity thing.

7. vmxa

vmxa Commander

Could be I see Stardrive2 uses unity and saves in Locallow as well.

8. Edward the Hun

Edward the Hun Moderator Lieutenant

Surviving Mars sends the save folder (and the mod folder too) to the appdata folder as well, and that game is fully integrated with Steam. Creative Assembly games as well use the appdata folder, so it's pretty common.