Too fast research?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Speedy2511, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Speedy2511

Speedy2511 Cadet

What is about the researchspeed? I think it is a little bit too fast? Can that easealy be changed? I like longer research, so you can play longer with the corrent tech.

2. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

I find the speed a bit high myself, but not always, and it is highly variable.
    Some leaders hired early will drastically affect and accelerate your research speed. Certain planet specials exploited early will do the same.
    Though it is not precise. the setting you choose for yourself, (Administrator, Viceroy, etc) will also play a role as it determines the quality of worlds you find in your immediate area. The less favorable those worlds are, the slower your research speed.

3. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Ensign

Yeah an option would be nice.I find you don't really use the early weapons very much so maybe it needs to be spread out too.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  4. Konstantine

Also highly variable.
    The attached design has been in service for 50 turns now. By exploiting HE3 and antimatter, I've made the lasers, shields and missiles more potent. I'm at turn 180 when this shot was taken, and because I've researched additional techs, I now have room on this design, when I first built it, I had 0 space left over. In about 20-30 turns I'll design something new, more powerful. This session though, this design is pretty effective still, 2-3 of these can take down a monster or any of my opponents Battleships.
    Unfortunately there are some times where this design would already be in-effective at this stage

Attached Files:

• DD.jpg
      DD.jpg
      File size:
      306 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  5. Wodzu

Wodzu Lieutenant

In my games, I never, ever use early weapons. I invest everything in my colonies, population, economics, research etc. That allows me to snowball later in the game. Also, the later you decide to discover weapons the lesser their cost to research is in terms of turns. So even when attacked, you are able to quickly research some base shields / missiles / beams.

I wish that A.I. would exploit this strategy of mine, but that never happened so far. Maybe in Beta I will get my ass kicked :)

6. Konstantine

It does to a fault in the latest release, on all settings.

The AI is outstanding at expanding. and knows how to develop colonies very quickly. On the harder levels, I struggle to keep up with the AI as regards their expansion...but.

By focusing so heavily on their colonies, population, economics and wide ranging research, there is a drawback. I can consistently field the number one fleet earlier than the AI, and by focusing my research on the military, my ships are just as good or better than an AI that dwarfs me in "general research" The result is that I can be last in the rankings and take on the number 1 AI and cripple it every single time.

So as a result, I get quite a bang out of early and mid level weaponry, so much so, that I am now ready to test the "Konstantine" option

7. Davor

Davor Cadet

Well we do have an option not to use the research slider all the way. Are people who are saying that research is too fast having research all the way or is it at minimum and research is still too fast? I am on my first game and I think it's going OK for now. Might change my mind later. After all, only on my first game. :)

8. Kurnn

Kurnn Cadet

Give them time to tweak the game. Its just released :p.

But I agree that fast research is never good. I rather have to slow, so you never get to the end of research.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  9. DiscoJer

DiscoJer Cadet

After playing 4 games of beta and 1.00 I do think research is too fast. Obviously, I could try to research slower, but deliberately crippling yourself isn't fun. (Though to a certain extent, I do, I don't generally bother with supercomputers)

I think it's really the upper end stuff that gets reached too quickly. At least the weapons. I don't think the Death Ray works very well as a weapon, but once you research that level, the phasor and disruptor can be miniaturized enough to cram a lot more on a ship (and usually the AI still has Neutron Blasters)

By contrast, I think culture is too slow. By the time I max out the tech tree (or close to it), I maybe have 60% of the culture thing done.

(It was hard to judge this before the beta, because the AI wasn't great and I would win at the first election. But the Beta really improved it, at least the way it expands)

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  10. Davor

Davor Cadet

Need to remember we need options. Lots of people really like that fast research pace. Others, love the slow and yet some more in between. I hate to see what is no, changed since that will be off putting for many people.

I believe the best solution would be to leave as is, and before a new game is made, have settings, sliders for research, production and what not to suit the individual person. My fun is not your fun and hate to see someone else's fun ruined because of opinions.

What do you think, this the best solution?

11. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Yes, the idea is to offer options to people. Quick game, Slow Game (even Ultra Slow for people who enjoy it). That will come :)

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Kurnn

Kurnn Cadet

Not sure I agree there dude. "Lots of people who likes fast research", doesnt like this type of game.
    They like Stellaris, where they can put everything on Auto.

I am willing to bet that the vast majority of gamers who likes THIS game, dont want the research tree to even end.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kurnn

Kurnn Cadet

Well met game creator god!
    You really take advice from us....and put it in the game? o_O
    Am I allowed to ask kindly for a setting? Slower then Ultra Slow. A setting where 9/10 games, never reaches the end.
    THATs a feature I been missing in Orion and others.

Civ 6 has one of those now, and is currently one of the most played game on steam. They went up quite alot since last patch, that made the game longer in all areas.

Are you planning to add more techs/reseachble things?

Any plans to add more races?

Thank you for this game!
    --Jonas the Swedish Goth

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  14. Ashbery76

Ashbery76 Ensign

Please make research and production separate options.

15. medway

medway Lieutenant

Agree it seems a little fast, even making Titans is a bit anti climatic as I don't feel like I really had to build to earn them. For the smaller map sizes maybe that makes sense though or for people who like faster games.

in the future I'd like to see the higher tech and ships a bit harder to reach and a larger map to space things out more (no pun intended).

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 2
  16. medway

medway Lieutenant

Also in response to needing larger maps. How about just making the sectors larger, but keep the number the same, and the amount of systems the same. But give everything a bit more room to breathe. That would allow more varied shapes in how the systems look together as well and give a sense of scale without actually changing the mechanics.

It wouldn't require any more balancing but visually help give more immersion. Once people play more they'll also understand how deep each sector is to explore over the course of the game.

With everything sort of scrunched together like it is now it doesn't give a feeling that you're travelling far.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    • ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  17. Davor

Davor Cadet

That is what I thought so as well, but after reading comments from players in Master's of Orion:Conquer the Stars forum it seems we have all types of players. Some just want a quick game since they might only have an hour or so a day to play and like to have the fast options. :)