Basics of Production Allocation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe3, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Joe3

Joe3 Ensign

I would appreciate some basic information about the Production Allocation options on the Planet screens. I've played the game (successfully) several time without paying too much attention to those options, but now I'd like to know more.

Using one of the loading screen tool tips, I've tried putting 100% into Construction and that certainly helped, especially in the early game. I've left it at that point several times and didn't notice anything bad as a result. I tried 90% in Construction and 5% each in Infrastructure and Planetary Engineering and again did not see any results, good or bad.

So I'd like to know what Planetary Engineering and Infrastructure are all about. How can I use them to advantage? If I ignore them, what happens? How does allocating points to them effect game play? Sorry to have to ask this, but tool tips do not provide answers.

2. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

My friend, it's good to see you again.

To answer your question, if you put 100% to construction, your population increases at a snails pace and your infrastructure not at all.

Infrastructure level increases help as you can specialize you planets, for example, when you gain a level, you could allocate the pick to Starship craftsmen and the production time of ships comes down even further.

For myself I do this. On my HW, I start 40% construction and the rest split, once I gain two infrastructure levels, I go 80% construction and the rest split.

On new colonies I start 100% infrastructure till I get the third pick, after that I go 40% construction and the rest split... unless it's a tiny world.

Of the three choices, Planetary engineering can be neglected except if you are attempting to terraform a planet or advance ecology level.

Some players min max these settings a lot, I'm more in the middle, many approaches will work for you.

3. Joe3

Joe3 Ensign

Hello, Konstantine. Happy to see you, too.

One of the things I like about this game is the interconnection of various parts. But I was surprised to see that 100% construction results in very slow population growth. Huh??? You mean if all effort goes to building a ship, nothing goes to building houses for people to live in and create little pops? Is that all or part of Infrastructure?

So. Another dumb request. Could you define Infrastructure, or tell me what it involves and (more precisely), what it's doing in and to the game while I'm trying to build a ship or a structure or whatever? And along the same lines, what is Planetary Engineering doing with whatever amount of effort I allowing it?

It's stuff like this that I think should be in a manual, although I know there are valid reasons why not. But thanks for responding, I do appreciate it.