Hot posts in thread: Things I'd like to see in ISG (sooner than later!)

1. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Great stuff Mezmorki! Some of this is actually already envisaged, others we could certainly consider as I like all the ideas you propose.

Awesome! And, thanks. The reception has been great. We're very happy with the feedback we're getting from the fans through many channels. You read constant mentions to "MoO2 2.5", "this is what MoO3 could have been" and "this is what MoO4 should have been". On that feedback alone we can say mission accomplished, as this was what we set out to do. Going forward, I believe Praxis Games has a great future ahead and we count on everyone to make it a brilliant one!

Let's go one by one.

I also like having more options in a Senate-type mechanic. Having laws being passed is a great idea for one of the expansions. I took note of this to be considered, and I'll add it to the Community Feedback List (CFL) as well.

Correct, but it will as this was something we had already detected. Could be fun to surprise the player, but in the end it's more useful to know when the senate is convened.

True. It's likely that a friend will vote for you, definitely an ally. Asking for a vote could be an interesting option to explore. I'll give it some thought.

The two empires with the most votes are nominated. Several factors contribute to the number of votes. You can see which by inspecting the tooltip on one of the voter little faces. These are: POP numbers (1 vote per POP), strategic resource sources (2 votes per source), galactic wonders owned (5 votes per galactic wonder) and ancient artifacts owned (10 votes per artifact).

Yes, we plan on offering multi-race empires. The game code alrerady supports that and we wish to make it a reality. I understand that the ability to move POPs around using freighters is a popular request, if not a must. I'll consider that for the expansions. We will have a migration-type system, we just need some time to figure out the exact way we're going to implement this.

You read our minds :) We want to offer customizable starbases. Everything is ready and can support that, it's just a question of doing it. So, it's very likely to be a feature in the first expansion, if not before.

Seems complex, but doable in some aspects. I agree that we could improve the current stealth and detection system with a bit more nuance and depth. Part of it will be to expand what the combat side scanning can achieve depending on the scanners tech levels. We can also think in further ways to conceal and counter from scanners, like having anti-scanner/stealth tech. The Cloacking Device is in the cards, for example. I took note of this and will give it some thought for a future expansion.

Absolutely. We will definitely improve the looks of all the lines in the starmap, as it can get messy pretty quickly, we're aware of that. We basically run out of time on that one, so we could focus on other more critical aspects of the game for the release. But, we will address this I can guarantee you this. All those lines will be much more clean, pretty, unintrusive and we plan on giving the player full options to disable what they want.

We also want to offer that. I love Civ5's puppet system, which is more or less what you're suggestion if I understood correctly. A puppet colony would manage itself and provide some benefit in exchange of lack of player control. This helps solve late-game micromanagement in a satisfactory way.

As for a full-blown vassal states feature, that is something we may consider but probably only for the 2nd expansion, if it is to be put in the game. I have my personal likes and dislikes about having a vassal system, but overall I favor it, although I think it would be a challenging system to implement. Still a possibility though.

There will be such a system :) It was designed, but ended up in the list of systems to offer in expansions because we run out of time, and these suckers are time-consuming to implement. We'll offer this and plenty other special systems in the expansions.

I'm pretty sure we will be offering some version of what you're describing in the expansions. At the very least we wish that, and it's a strong possibility. Stay tuned! The universe of Interstellar Space has just seen its origins, and more mysteries and unknowns await!

Awesome suggestions Mezmorki. Keep them coming.

Thanks!

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  2. Davor

Davor Cadet

Great ideas there @Mezmorki .

I would like to add for what we need right away is an "auto turn" feature. NOT FUN just hitting "end turn" for 5 or so turns in a row. An auto turn feature when the turns stop for something for us to do I think would help a long way. We asked for this in the MOO CtS forum on Steam, and the dev's gave it to us eventually and it helped out playing the game, at least the first few turns when all we can do is wait.

:)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. medway

medway Lieutenant

Good points, have a similar feeling.

4. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

A lot of good ideas here. I think we will see quite a few of them show up in some form or fashion in future DLC or expansions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wodzu

Wodzu Lieutenant

That was a great feature in MOO2 as well. Often it was a crucial to send a colonist or two to a newly populated world, it boosted its production dramatically.

I've pointed out this to Adam Apr 23, 2017 so quite a long time ago, maybe we will get this in DLC :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Mezmorki

Mezmorki Ensign

I've been having a great time with ISG so far, and it seems like the reception has been quite positive overall. Very happy for the devs!

In mt recent playing, a few things have popped up in terms of either balance or functionality, and a few others in terms of new features/content I'd like to see down the road. The following is in no particular order:

More Engaging Galactic Senate
    I'd love there to be some galactic UN-style policies that could be enacted. A big one comes to mind which is making mass destruction bombardment be deemed atrocity, and hence hurt relationships with everyone in the senate. Other laws could be explored of course too. Something to make it more interactive and frequent.

Minor note on the senate, but it doesn't tell you how/when the next vote is coming. There are also no diplomacy options to ask your friends/allies to vote for you in the Senate, which seems strange. What determines what empires are nominated?

Population Migration
    Creating and balancing multi-faction/race empires can be a good thing. I'd love to add the ability, using freighter fleets, to be able to move population between planets. It would open up interesting options for using mineral poor planets as growth centers to send off colonists to high production worlds. Would give more variety to empire management and growth opportunities.

Armada 2526 had a slick system of being able to setup automated transports / freighters to move population around. It was a little clunky in the implementation and could've been simplified. But even setting up a freighter connection between two worlds (like with asteroid mining) that directed a portion of the population growth in planet X to growth in planet Y would be a simpler way of handling it?

Customizable Starbases
    Why can't starbases / battlestations be a customizable unit? Is this possible?

Deeper Stealth and Detection System
    I'd love to see more nuance and depth to detection. Getting really powerful scanners takes all the mystery out of fights and makes it easy to exploit the AI. I think it would be cool if the amount of information provided by sensors declined over a distance, so that only within 25% of its max range could you see the full details of a ship. E.g, Scan level 1 (detect fleet only) would go out to the max distance, level 2 is number of ships (to 75% range), level 3 is ships and types (to 50% range), level 4 is full ship details (0-25% range).

Then, if you could also have varying levels of stealth modules on ships that would reduce the effective scan level by the stealth amount. So a ship in scan level 3 (detects type of ship) with stealth level 2 would mean that the ship was only viewable as a generic "fleet". Higher stealth level than scan means the ship is invisible.

Improve Map Paths/Lines Visually
    I'm referring to the movement lines, wormhole lines, asteroid mining lines, etc. Right now, these are all just solid lines of different colors. It gets messy at times sorting out what is what. Asteroid mining should have a distinctive style (string of dots that slowly move?). Wormholes should have a specific style (line is a wavy or double-helix looking line?).

Fleet movement paths should be colored based on your diplomatic relationship. A player's own fleets should be solid green. Neutral should be dashed yellow. Peace should be dashed blue. Hostile should be a heavy dashed red line, to make is abundantly clear what movements are hostile or not.

On a related note - it would be great if all hostile assets (fleets icons, star system name) were outlined in a heavy red to again make it clear to tell where the threats are. I think it would help the map be more visually engaging too and better reflect the diplomatic situation.

Diplomacy & Vassals
    I'd like to see more diplomatic options added down the road. A system for turning conquered worlds into vassal states instead of full conquest would be cool. Might be as simple as disabling direct control of the colony in exchange for allowing greater happiness / liberty within the colony. You'd get a portion of their income and could request ship construction, but otherwise wouldn't have to manage it directly.

Combat Fleeing
    Maybe I missed it, but is there a ship module (not planet building) that allows you to inhibit or restrict ships from fleeting? It would be nice late game to have a way to better pin and lock down hostile forces that just flee on the first turn each time.

Victory Conditions & Galactic Threats?
    This is my bold vision / idea, but I would love there to be a more narrative-based victory condition that provides a unique way to win the game as well as creating an interesting galactic threat. My idea is that exploring ruins could give you clues (in addition to other rewards) of key sectors to explore for remote exploration. You would then be able to explore and find some unique mega-artifacts that would provide benefits to being held and perhaps even function similar to the Age of Wonders 3 seal's victory system. As these get discovered, they awaken some galactic threat that starts to spawn across the galaxy, which tries to retake the artifact sites and attacks the different empires directly. Could be pretty awesome I feel.

That's it for now. Phew!

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1