Couple of UI things after watching a new player

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aReclusiveMind, Dec 5, 2018.

1. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

I just watched Nookrium's video showing off the game and it was interesting to see what a new player would struggle with. As a result, I came up with a few small UI suggestions you might consider.

• Given the choice of 3 planets, a tiny, small, and medium, he chose the medium. They were all acid and said they were ideal, which stands out as it is color coded in green. What does not stand out is the opposite gravity type (heavy-g for a low-g race). He should have selected the tiny or small planet first due to the huge 50% penalty on the medium one. Perhaps the gravity type in the system view should also be color coded based on your race's ideal gravity?
      • Green = matching gravity
      • Standard/Grey = slightly different w/ 25% penalty gravity
      • Red = opposite gravity w/ 50% penalty (so med-g race would never see a red gravity color)
    • Despite the presence of the matching icon for Helium-3 in the tech tree, he still couldn't find the newly unlocked tech options right away. Perhaps they should flash/highlight the first time you open the tech tree after unlocking them, just to make it even easier to see the first time?
    • He struggled for a minute on how to assign the leader to the colony. In fact, it looks like he almost dismissed him. The number of clicks involved and exactly where to click to assign a colony leader to a colony should probably be refined.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. MalRey

MalRey Developer Lieutenant

Yeah, I've noticed some of those too. Great suggestions you've got there. He was playing in fast mode in order to show game progression and that factor didn´t help with the analysis but in this mode is great to see if game elements are intuitive or not. I also notice that the remote exploration was not in the option list to increase the scan level of a system, even the colony ship came first. But i'm guessing that is mainly related with the lack of in-game tutorial.