1.0.5 thoughts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yrth, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Yrth

Yrth Cadet

Hi Adam,

currently at turn 251 in 1.0.5 and no bugs so far. Amazing! :D
    While playing the actual release I want to mention some possible improvements:
    1. possibility to relocate the ship production to a remote position.
    2. the color sceme of support ships, assault ships, etc. should be aligned to the racial color sceme.
    3. imho the starbases are to weak. I would suggest to rank them one lvl up armour wise.
    4. I notice, that at some point I use for every Colony the same production template:
      - all prod to infra until rank 3 so I have 6 slots for building then switch prod to construction
      - queuing Robotic factory, Cloning center, Culture, Elevator, Starbase, Supercomputer
      It would be nice if we could use cmd-scripts as templates to reduce micro-management.
    5. if you activate the autofire eg. with Phasors the displayed damage does not change (Bug?)
    6. It seems to me that the (autofire)Phasors are the best weapons, follow up weapons need to much space or did have a cooldown so the weight to damage/turn is inferior. Is this intentional?
    7. better animation of shields and shield damage during combat. Starbases rotating by 90° every turn, 2.5D(isometric) or 3D graphics would be great imho.
    8. 3D animated presentation of discoveres technologies.(research, spying, after ground combat)
    9. some more ship specials (structural analyzer, weapon range extender, etc.)
    10. missing the Antarians(and their special tech) and Doom Stars. ;)
    regards
    Yrth

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Hey Yrth, thanks for your feedback.

Sure, let's go.

Yes, the possibility of relocating produced ships to somewhere else is a planned feature that we wish to offer at some point.

We made a choice for civilian ships to be agnostic to the race who uses them, i.e. they are the same types of ships for all playable races. Therefore they have unique designs and colors.

You'll be glad to know that the latest update (1.0.6) made orbital stations tougher (full hull reinforcement triples their hitpoints). Reading your suggestion may have helped a little bit on making this change sooner than later ;)

We plan on offering colony AI governors to assist the player in developing colonies in a certain way. I think this will be a good first step to reduce micromanagement further, especially in the late game. Then, we'll see if we need anything else.

Autofire provides 2 extra shots that are less accurate. It requires considerable extra space and cost to install it on weapons. As for the damage, it's debatable if you should present it or not since the shots are less accurate after all, so we opted not to show that information.

Autofire requires significant extra space and cost to install and the accuracy is reduced in the 3 shots. Phasors is one of the most versatile weapon choices, and that's intentional to a degree. It can be miniaturized to great effect, so that makes it a very interesting weapon. More powerful weapons have other bonuses and special characteristics. For instance, Photon Torpedoes cannot be shot down, and the Disruptor Beam doesn't see its damage reduced with range. The Gauss-Coil gun doesn't see distance reduce its accuracy. That said, if you feel Phasors can be a bit too unbalanced let me know and we can discuss what could be tweaked to reduce that feeling. I also took a note to give this some thought.

We plan on making graphical improvements to the space combat soon. The ability to see a more 2.5D (isometric) view (perhaps not 45º but around 60º or so) is planned. Better animations of shields is also a possibility for the future.

Improved presentation of the research breakthrough is also a possibility for the future.

Yes, more ship special systems are planned!

Menaces, crisis and special planet killer stations are also in the cards, hopefuly to be provided at some point in the future ;)

Thanks again for your feedback!

3. Yrth

Yrth Cadet

Thx for your answer, this sounds great !
    So eventually ISG will be the next reference of 4x instead of MOO2. :D

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  4. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Lieutenant

Of course Neutronium Armor Coating (https://interstellar-space-genesis.fandom.com/wiki/Strategic_Resources#Neutronium_Armor_Coating) will render phasors useless, whereas nothing provides immunity to kinetic weapons or missiles.

And by the time you get Phasors to the point of being able to have Auto-Fire, for the same space as a Heavy Mount, Auto-Fire, No Range Dissipation (64 space) phasor with 30% accuracy (at point blank range, decreasing with distance) and 3 shots of 30 damage, you can have 2x Nuclear missiles with Fast, Heavily Armored, and and MIRV (33 sapce) doing 32 damage each with 100% accuracy and unlimited range, and you can time it so multiple missiles from each ship hit simultaneously, overwhelming PD, Shields, etc.

Phasors are great, I'm not arguing that, but they aren't so OP as to make all other weapons obsolete--especially at certain stages of research.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  5. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Exactly! Let me tell you, the first time I encountered AI ships with Neutronium Armor was quite a shock. Not only did I lose the battle as my beam weapons were mostly bouncing off the enemy hulls and my missiles were exhausted, but I had to re-group and come up with a way to counter them quickly. My entire, (rather sizeable fleet) was designed with beam weapons as a focus... it was an interesting situation to say the least.

A player can't get caught up in the numbers only when it comes to weapons or the modifications. Beam weapons are great, but Neutronium armour cuts them down to size, Missiles are reliable but can be countered by both PD and ECM, Torpedoes are super but there is the cooldown to consider, and Direct fire Kinetics can't be countered but they need a lot of work to hit on a consistent basis.

This is one of my favourite areas of ISG, the fact that weapons are truly different and there is more to them than meets the eye.