[Alpha 1a] A possible solution to number bloat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Culthrasa, Dec 15, 2018.

1. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

Please remember that the game can not be seriously played and judged for balance when the AI is a non-factor. We can tinker continously now and later we may find, when the AI is actually competitive, that these crazy production issues are non-existent because the AI actively prevents or targets them.

Undefended asteroids and strategic resources are a prime example of this. The AI is too passive to do anything about the player building these up. I realize the AI is unfinished but that also means balance can't be finished.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Ok guys, how about this:
    • United Federation space culture perk now +10% empire morale (was +15%)
    • Protector of a System Desire met down from +10% morale to +5%
    • Garrisons with Dictatorship down from +15% morale to +10%
    • Wan Ironshard provides too much morale, needs morale nerf
    • Deep Core Mine harder to build (+50% to 100% more) and maintain (-10 BC instead of -7)
    • Increase the cost of the Subterranean trait (6 now, was 5). Force players to sacrifice more
    • Change Civil and Aerospace bonuses from +25/50/100 to +20/40/60
    • -2% Morale per POP >15 from Overcrowding (20 POP is -10% morale; 30POP is -30%; 40 POP is -50%)
    • Lower amount of asteroid belts; lower Large and Medium ones considerably. Scarcity!
    • Asteroid production exploitations give +20/40/60 flat prod on Small/Medium/Large belts, instead of +0.5/1.0/1.5 prod per pop

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. aReclusiveMind

Seems like a good mix of changes to me. I am especially fond of the Civil and Aerospace bonus changes.

I will withhold judgement on the asteroid change from per pop to flat bonus until I try it. I may really enjoy using them to help jump start new colonies.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Adam Solo

Yes, it seems like a nice way to help jump start underdeveloped colonies, as an alternative solution (although different in scope) from support ships (which provide bonuses depending on the empire infrastructure). Let's see how it goes.

5. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Like this but Subterranean trait is till too low if we keep the bonus the same... how about 7 picks instead?

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. Adam Solo

I'll see what I can do, but 6 would be ideal for now for other reasons.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. aReclusiveMind

I'm fine with Subterranean's cost being increased even higher, if deemed necessary. It sounds like Adam has his own reasons for stopping at 6, so let's see how it goes.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Culthrasa

Culthrasa Ensign

Played with the changes and they are a good step into right direction imho...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1