[Alpha 1a] Ultra Wide 3440x1440 Issues

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by The Asgard, Dec 17, 2018.

1. The Asgard

The Asgard Cadet

Hi Guys,
    Just running the game up and noticed some issues with the mains selection screen. The Top logo and bottom Exit button are being chopped. They are being drawn outside the 1440 limits. I would say the last quarter of the exit button is being drawn outside.

Also

Max Frame Rate is fixed at 120 and cannot be adjusted with VSynch off.

2. The Asgard

The Asgard Cadet

Chopping is on the race selection. In game some of the screens chop too

Empire Status Screen - Chopped
    Ship Design - Top graphic floating in the middle

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  3. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

I should buy an ultrawide 3440x1440. I mean I NEED it to properly help test IS:G, right? Ha, I am still trying to convince myself 2 years after saying I would get one. :)

Thanks for the reports @The Asgard. I seriously have considered getting an ultrawide and appreciate you helping the devs resolve the issues with that resolution.

4. The Asgard

The Asgard Cadet

You defintaley would benefit from the extra space for development. You should also consider 4K and look at UI scaling if you want to give the game legs for the future. Distant Worlds is unplayable because of small font issues. Grim Dawn does a great job of UI scaling to support different resolutions.

5. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

We'll have a look at this when we can. Unfortunately, neither of us have an Ultra Wide (21:9) monitor to test this :)

From what I see from Steam HW stats, "only" about 1.5% of gamers use Ultra Wide monitors as primary resolution for gaming, although that figure will probably go up. As indie devs we have to do what we can.

However, you talk about chopped stuff, so it's quite serious.

Regarding this I have no idea why you get this. The frame rate can (should) be adjusted freely. Even with VSync ON. Although with VSync on the frames are capped by your monitor refresh rate (divided by two if you go with VSync 1:2).

6. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

I'm not a game dev for Interstellar Space: Genesis, but I agree with your points. There are many games that play beautifully at 21:9 resolution from what I have seen/read, including many of the 4X games, even the more indie ones like Stars in Shadow. Many have said it offers a superior experience to a 4K monitor, despite its higher resolution, due to the extended width and curvature.

Perhaps I should get myself an expensive late Christmas gift. No one will notice the gigantic box coming into the house or the huge monitor on my desk, right? :)

If you can provide some screenshots regarding your issue, it may help the devs figure this out.