Alpha 1b notes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Konstantine, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Agreed. Adamantium appears later via events, but it can still appear early through ruins exploration. There are several unique super techs hidden in ruins, so you were lucky. Now, the thing is, do we want to negate Adamatium appearing early altogether, and negate an alternative (military easier way to play) or should we allow it to appear? Perhaps it wouldn't appear early on the higher difficulty settings only, what do you think?

2. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

I think this would be perfect and please the greatest number of players.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. CrazyElf

CrazyElf Lieutenant

There is a big element to RNG to this - I think that yeah, Konstantine must have hit the right series of numbers early on. Perhaps it should be eliminated until the galaxy reaches x tech level?

4. medway

medway Lieutenant

That would work for me. I think having the chance in lower levels might be nice while you're learning the game still.

5. Adam Solo

This is already implemented in the dev build. Adamantium Armor now appears a bit latter in ruins in the higher difficulty levels.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Konstantine

A few more observations from the many sessions I’ve had with the latest build.

The first is a minor point that I believe has been discussed in one form or another, and that is the ability to save game parameters.

For example, I create my custom race and select their color, name their Homeworld. If I now do not press start, but instead view another race, the color reverts to red and the saved HW name reverts to the plural of whatever name I gave my custom race. (Instead of Terra, the HW becomes Terrans). A bit annoying this and it should be a minor fix. Another example that I found annoying was when I attempted to create numerous custom races to give myself a challenge.

I decided to create a second race for each stock race (except humans as my own was a human variant). Well the problem was evident quickly. I created the Lavaheads based on the Moltar and gave them an orange color, saved their specs. I then went and created the Lizards and finally the Rabbits. By the time I was ready to start, all of these custom races reverted to their parent color type, meaning it was now hard for me to see who I was dealing with at a glance. I had two races of each color and I did not find that right.

And now for something wonderful

I was playing a session and at war with the Sulak, I kept them well contained but at some point I got careless and they took one of my outposts. This extended their logistical range and most of my systems were now within their range. On the next turn, they simultaneously attacked half a dozen of my systems with a wide variety of forces. While I quickly took back the lost outpost, I was now on the defensive for a number of turns and forced to break up my task forces to deal with their threat, I was lucky and had a sizable fleet at this point otherwise it could have gotten very ugly. It was great to see the AI jump on an opportunity like this and display aggression that had me reeling… some newer players are going to be in for a shock

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Adam Solo

Custom races now keep their details (homeworld name, leader name, empire name and color) in the dev build.

You mean, the Lavaheads which you had set to orange reverted to red? I believe the stock races have precedence for their main color, and then the custom ones adapt to that by going with their own color if possibly or reverting to another color if that color was already picked by another race, including custom one. If this is not what you meant could you please clarify and provide more details of what the issue was? Thanks.

Yes, as you see, the bottleneck, or decisive point for going to war or not is, not unrealistically, logistics. If the AI has good access to your worlds you should watch out, especially if you're at war and on the higher difficulties, as the AI has a lot of options available. The other decisive points are scanning range and exploration level. If the AI does not see your defensive fleets (not enough scanning range), or does not know what the contents of your systems are (not enough exploration level), it will not/cannot plan to attack. This because the AI does not cheat, it plays exactly by the same rules as the human player. It would be very easy for me to make them attack blind or at any time I want really, but that would not be realistic nor fair.

So, the plan is to make the AI more keen in developing those 3 vectors (logistics, scanning range and exploration knowledge) when they actively seek for war or just in general and I'm sure we'll see more scenarios as the one you describe. There are other areas that also need improvement and many other things the AI does not do yet that puts it at a disadvantage to the human player, but that will not be for long.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. Konstantine

This is as it should be, and a credit to ISG
    Excellent to hear this, I expect this will effect a great many things, not just during war time, but during the development phase as well. A player now will need to devote more resources to defence and earlier as well, very excited about this.
    Let me re-create and take it deep enough to see if it held up during the session as I quit early, I noticed the reversion at the start screen and only played a bit before going into another session, from your response, it seems I had nothing to worry about. I'll get back to you if it's an issue and apologise if it turns out I jumped the gun.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  9. Joe3

Joe3 Ensign

Interesting thread, this! My previous attempts with custom races did not work out well, so I'm anxious to try again. Yes, I've been out for a while, but happy to be back. Thanks for this information guys!

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 2