[Alpha 2a] Music Volume Reset on Tech Research

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by aReclusiveMind, Jul 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

When I started the game, I reduced the music and sound volume in the main menu. This is something I always do because the default volume is too loud for my headphones. It is easier to adjust the in-game value than my PC's volume control (which is at 25% as-is).

The science research completion music that plays when you discover a new technology does not appear to adhere to the volume set in the settings. Whenever it plays, it is much louder than the galaxy music was.

Also, when exiting the research completion screen, it starts playing the galaxy music again, but the volume remains at the default (louder) volume. After a few seconds, it will lower itself back to the level set in options.

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Thanks for the report. We'll fix this asap.

3. Adam Solo

I've analysed the issue. I thought you were referring to something different in my first reply, that the tech discovery music could be playing, or the main music afterwards, even with music volume set to 0. Nevermind how I interpreted that.

The intended behavior for the tech discovery music is to be heard while the main music plays. And for that to work, and not cause tunes overlap, we reduce the volume of the main background music when the tech discovery tunes play. So, that may give the impression that the discovery tunes play louder than the volume settings but I can assure you it does not. It may also depend on the music in question, that can give more the impression the tech discovery tunes play louder than they should.

So, the discovery tunes play at the designated volume level. The background music volume is reduced temporarily, and then gradually comes back to the designated volume after a few seconds.

Let me know if this is what you experienced. If not, or if I may be misinterpreting you please let me know.

This part:

It should be the other way around. The main music should play in lower volume after the tech discovery sound, and then gradually get back up to the level set in options. If this is not the case and you can reproduce the issue, let me know. If you happen to have a save where hitting end turn would cause the behavior it would be great.

4. aReclusiveMind

The main music may be quieter when the tech discovery happens, but when the tech discovery music ends the main music comes back on at the same (louder) volume as the tech discovery music. A few seconds later it goes back to the volume it was set to before the discovery occurred.

I believe a video will better show what I am experiencing. I'm attaching a zip file with two examples.

The first shows my volume settings, which you will see are set quite low. I then start a new game, quickly research something, and the tech discovery music plays at a higher volume. It ends and the main music remains at a higher volume. Shortly thereafter, there is a noticeable volume reduction.

The second is in the same game. I research another tech just to show that the behavior is consistent. I don't know why it occurs, but it definitely does.

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Adam Solo

Thanks for the videos, they were helpful. Yeah, the behavior is different in your end, I will see what could be causing this behavior.

\Edit: Ok, I found where the issue is. This happened when very low music volume was being applied. Fixing...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    • ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  6. aReclusiveMind

Excellent, glad that the video helped find the problem!

Yeah on my PC I have always found IS:G to be loud and turn it down. I wear headphones and have my PC volume at 25%.

Also, the slider doesn't seem to scale smoothly. If I slide it a little there is no discernable volume difference. If I move it down slightly more than shown in the video, I believe there is a another dramatic sound drop. Not a big issue for me though.

7. Adam Solo

Yes, it was too loud. We have tweaked the sound volume after Alpha 2a, it's now only 50% of what it was before. Before with 10% sound it was very loud already.

8. Adam Solo

Ok, this seems fixed now. It works as expected in both high and very low volumes. This was a great catch, thanks!

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.