Can ships *lose* experience?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by SilasOfBorg, Jan 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. SilasOfBorg

SilasOfBorg Ensign

I've noticed this a couple times now and it seems fairly easy to reproduce.

1. Play as the Draguul.
    2. Build a ship on a world with level 3 Enhanced Ship Support.

The resulting ship will be Elite (4 stars) as expected.

3. Fight a battle with that ship.

Post-battle, the ship LOSES its Elite status and resets to Veteran (400/500) XP.

The ship can still gain XP as per normal.

Either this is a bug, or I've been incredibly unlucky with rival spies somehow demoting my ships just as they leave combat. :)

This looks and smells like a bug to me -- can you please either confirm or enlighten me on some mechanic I may be missing?

Thanks!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Hi! Welcome to the forums and thanks for the bug report with detailed steps on how to reproduce it.

I built a Draguul ship with Ultimate Ship Support. The ship became Elite (4 stars with 501/800 XP).

I then fought a battle with that ship and one other against a Crystal Entity, and fled.

The ship's XP after the fight was Elite (4 stars with 504/800 XP) as expected.

Did you remember doing something special with that ship that you saw their crew XP get reduced? Do you have a save you can give me before a battle where you see that issue? Saves can be found here: C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\LocalLow\Praxis Games\ISG

Thanks!

\Edit: By the way, did your ship became badly damaged? Like, really bad? Ships' crew can lose experience when the ships are badly damaged (they lose a lot of their crew).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  3. SilasOfBorg

SilasOfBorg Ensign

Here's a save you should be able to reproduce the issue with.

1. Load game. Observe a Draguul frigate near Gladus with ETA of 1 turn. It is Elite (506/800 experience).
    2. Next turn
    3. Declare on the Sulak and fight their frigate at Gladus.
    4. During the battle, notice that the Frigate crew is still showing as "Elite" (4 stars)
    5. It might take a few rounds and you might lose due to bad luck, but the odds are overwhelmingly in favor of the more experienced crew here. :)
    6. End Combat
    7. Check the frigate. It is now Veteran (4xx/500 experience)

I am playing what I imagine to be the latest publicly available build (1.07, from humble)

Good luck and thanks for the quick response!

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Adam Solo

Thanks for the save, that was key to identify the issue, which was indeed a bug.

This XP reduction your report was happening when your ship had no shields. Due to a bug in the code the XP was being reduced in those cases.

This is now resolved in the dev build and a fix will be available in the next update to be released soon.

Sorry about this. In the meantime, please try to go with at least Shields Class I so you don't see this XP reduction.

Thanks.

5. SilasOfBorg

SilasOfBorg Ensign

Cool, so I can work around it in the meantime. :)

Thanks Adam! Glad to contribute -- so far I am super impressed with ISG. Inbetween the smart design choices and great UI I am having a really fun time with it. I've played almost every 4X since Reach For the Stars (the original from Keating/SSG) so I don't impress easily. :)

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  6. Adam Solo

Thanks a lot for the kind words. I'm also glad to hear you're enjoying the game a lot!