Custom race settings suggestion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kharn, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Kharn

Kharn Lieutenant

[game version 1.1.2 stable steam]

Hi, just a simple suggestions to race customisation screen.
    - add titan special selection,
    - add home planet name, not only home system,
    - consider to add population -25% (with -5 skill pts)
    - consider to change -50% population to -10 skill pts, this flaw can be nasty and could be balanced.

and for further consideration
    A Low-G race should have negative values to ground combat when fighting inhospitable gravity. ie. -5 on normal -10 on High-G worlds. Similarly, Heavy-G should have bonuses i.e. +5 on normal +10 on Low-G, and also Normal-G races should have +5 on Low-G and -5 on Heavy-G worlds combats.

EDIT 1:
    and also new mutually exclusive option for size of home solar system:
    + small (1 or 2 planets or belts) -> (+2 pts)
    + medium (3 or 4 planets or belts) -> (0 pts)
    + large (5 or 6 planets or belts) -> (-2 pts)

EDIT 2:
    option to choose the type of cannon used at the beginning between beams and kinetic technology.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

These are nice suggestions but I would caution on this one
    I take that pick, I'm using it in my AAR, and I've given production and research bonuses to the AI while playing on Emperor. Basically I played with a single world that has any meaningful production. My custom race however is slapping the combined AIs from one end of the galaxy to the other, I've destroyed about 200 enemy ships and only lost 3... I'm also not the best player of ISG by far. Giving us veterans an additional 3 racial picks here may not be be a good thing...

3. Kharn

Kharn Lieutenant

I played on these settings and yes, I win almost every battle, capturing enemy ships, but in the long run I lost the game, overwhelmed by an alien populations. Similarly, AI playing on these settings does not pose a serious long term threat. But these are loose suggestions about -50% population skill.

Attached Files:

• rce.png
      rce.png
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  4. Konstantine

That's an interesting set up, in some ways similar to my own. Yes the AI can only overwhelm you at this stage, combat is not its strong point. In my current session I'm devastating their colonies and keeping them from massing. As long as I don't make any mistakes, I am pretty sure I can take them.

5. Kharn

Kharn Lieutenant

so, I modified the setup to reduce the population disadvantages in longer games, and also the race can be a pin in ass as AI opponent.

Attached Files:

6. Konstantine

Fascinating...
    You have certain disadvantages, small HW, heavy G, repulsive, etc. Your main strength is ship combat, both offense and defense. If I may say so, it seems you and I may have certain similar approaches to play style. I like to think that this game can be won or lost in space. I often find myself dwarfed in production and technology, yet as long as I can retain near parity in military tech and a decent fleet, the contest is mine for the taking.
    Good luck with that race, it should be quite interesting.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  7. Kharn

Kharn Lieutenant

Thanks, I'm testing a few races and playing style, but now I love to watch my fleet defeat opponent and grab his shiny and often more advanced ships :).

btw, I just noticed leader resemblance, I suspect that this is not entirely coincident.

Attached Files:

• jek.png
      jek.png
      File size:
      158.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Konstantine

No it isn't. That's actually me for real. For over two years I was actively helping Solo get his game ready, I wrote a lot of the events in the game, some race descriptions, ruins text etc. I helped them out in a lot of other ways as well, (about 2,000 hours over two years total). Then the day came when I decided to go back to being independent. So apart from being listed in the game credits, my reward, (and something I asked for), was to actually be "in the game".

Let me tell you I get a kick out of playing and encountering myself, lol. The only thing different is the first name, those initials (j.e.k.) are for three other contributors who were all part of the team then, it was my tribute to them. It was great fun, and if all goes well I may doing something similar in another game soon.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    • ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  9. Kharn

Kharn Lieutenant

It's kind of virtual monument, very nice idea :) I must remember that for use in future, when the opportunity arises.
    It's great to work where you like what you do, good luck with this new project.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  10. Konstantine

Thank you for the kind wishes Kharn. Under the right circumstances and team environment, it can be quite enjoyable. Doing it also allowed me to gauge my own skills better, I saw how many of my ideas were adopted, some instantly, others only after enough players or experts voiced the same opinion at a latter time. But I'm a gamer first and foremost, (like you I imagine), so not much of a surprise there.

Back to the topic for a moment. You know what else I would love to see? The ability to modify the traits of the stock races themselves. Right now I could create custom races for everyone and play with those while disabling the stock races, but that seems like extra work and inelegant.

What do you think about something like that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Kharn

Kharn Lieutenant

Yes, it would be useful, but a revert button should be provided.

• Agree Agree x 1