Game issues with Microsoft game mode app on...

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by Ironsides, Oct 18, 2022.

1. Ironsides

Ironsides Ensign

When I first got this game I had a number of issues with it, initially I thought this was likely because I'm running it on a low end 10+ year old laptop!!!

Relevant Specs:
    Lenovo T430 Thinkpad
    Intel 4000HD intergrated graphics
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
    Installed RAM 8.00 GB (7.82 GB usable)
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    240GB SSD
    Windows 10 Pro fully updated

It is upgraded but only just exceeds the min specs posted on GOG , I think, I'm not that up to date with current PC systems etc...

The problem was extreme loading times and system crashes from about turn 150ish in the game, eventually I thought it might be something to do with too many apps working in the background, however I optimised my pc when I first bought it second hand to prevent this by turning off or removing unnecesary apps.

As it turns out the problem was that somehow or another the Game mode app was turned on (impossible to remove?), once this was turned off the problems went away...
    Since then I've had no problems at all with the game, so I can only imagine that this was the cause.. I don't know how the game mode app got turned on either ?

Whether or not this only apply's to my system I dont know, just thought I'd post this here as a warning to others;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Thanks for the heads up, and that you were having issues with the game but not anymore after disabling Windows Game Mode. I was actually unaware of the existence of that mode, and after checking I do have Game Mode enabled on my system. I don't have any issues running the game. Also, lately there haven't been any issues reported of that nature, so maybe it was something specific to your system. However, I'll be on the lookout to see if there are other reports from people with the same issues you were having.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  3. Ironsides

Ironsides Ensign

I did read up on it online when I was looking for a solution, and came across some mention of the game mode causing problems, but not specifically with ISG...

Typical of what I came across so I gave it a go:
    This one from 2020...
    https://www.laptopmag.com/news/wind...problems-how-to-turn-it-off-to-improve-gaming

My issue is a recent issue though, I bought ISG+DLCs from GOG in june...
    Everythings at max in the game now too... with games running beyond 300+ turns with no issues..

Err I can't believe its only from June!o_O

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022