Glitchy Ships - file name describes it

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by pnye71, Nov 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnye71

pnye71 Ensign

Near the center bottom of the map just above Obtalla system is glitchy ships that show as system unexplored.

Attached Files:

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

This is what I see after loading the save game.

glitchyShips.jpg

You say there are "glitchy" ships just above Obtalla. They can't be seen now after loading it seems. Or let me know what should I be looking at in the image above.

The glitch may have been the result of some error that the load has now cleared out. If that happens again let us know, try to do a print screen or use the Internal Log Viewer (you can activate it in the game settings) and do a circular movement with your mouse which will trigger the internal log. If you see red errors there please let us know. If you could send us a screenshot of those errors, it would be great.

That's a hell of a game you have there. Just a hint, I notice you have a late logistics tech that is causing a bit of slowdown at the moment. If you turn the supply range layer off that will speed up the game considerably. Optimizing the layers is on our TODO list.

3. pnye71

pnye71 Ensign

Ok thanks for the heads up on the supply range thing. It does run pretty slow. I also had the game freeze up a few turns later. Should check out the pop 40 max planet at Pherion. Subterranean custom race and Large caves special :). I'll load again and see if it's still there.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. pnye71

pnye71 Ensign

So still happening to me. Attached the screenshot. Also, the game has locked up on turn execution - attached the auto save of the turn before it locked up.

Attached Files:

5. Adam Solo

Ok, I see the problem now. The glitchy ships are there near Obatala. And then the game locks up on turn execution.

Do you have a save on the turn before or a few turns before this one so we could have a look? Thanks.

\Edit: I see the above save is 4 turns before the glitchy ships appear and the turn lock up issue. Can you guide me to what you did to reproduce the issue of the glitchy ships? Where did you send your ships and do you remember doing between the events of the first save in the this thread and the one just above? Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  6. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

Adam, I saw something like this in my game on Pre-Alpha 11 Hotfix 1 that I sent you the saves for the other day. The white images in fleet went along with the other issues I was having with phantom fleets (no ships in fleet) and not being able to move to certain systems. I wonder if some combination of late game tech is causing this? I was also in turn 250+.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Adam Solo

Yes, I remember, the issue is related where phantom fleets appear with no ships in them. We could not salvage that game for you, and the same seems to be happening here. It could be related to some late game tech or some fleet movement pattern that creates corrupted fleets. We're investigating this to see if we can find the source of the issue.

8. aReclusiveMind

I've just reviewed my video from when those bugs started occurring. Give me just a moment and I will provide time stamps and details I found to you.

9. aReclusiveMind

If you check out the final video in my Moltar let's play (spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet!) you can see the issue unfold.

1:07:31 Turn 250 Transcommunication researched

1:09:43 turn 252 Tachyon Drive researched

1:10:17 Attempt to send 14 ships w/ 3 leaders to Drirs and can't send them, but I can go to other systems

1:12:25 Turn 254 Send entire fleet to Rualduc since I can't go to Drirs

1:13:00 Fleet from Imuek is allowed to go to Drirs but main fleet still can't. Order given

1:13:07 Main Fleet in transit still to Rualduc. I split off a single ship ("Eruptor") and it seemingly allows me to send it to Drirs. I am using Transcommunication here as the fleet is still in transit. The order is given but the green line showing the ship is going to go there never appears. Next turn, a phantom ship/fleet icon appears where the fleet was when I gave the order to send that one ship.

1:13:44 Main Fleet composition shows the ship ("Eruptor") is still in the main fleet. It did not actually follow through with the movement order.

1:14:04 I send the same "Eruptor" ship to Drirs again, but this time from orbit at Rualduc. Now I can send it to Drirs and the line appears correctly. It moves as expected the following turn.

After this a ton of different fleets converge on Proclash and the game eventually locked up. On Proclash is where I saw the white ship icons appear, but only after I reloaded in an attempt to save the game. Eventually I reloaded again and got past the issues to finish the game.

My suspicion is Transcommunication is playing a part here. Also, I am wondering if there is a limit to how any ships can be in a single system? The AI sometimes has a dozen or more assault ships not even including my combat ships and their combat ships.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. Adam Solo

Transcommunication can indeed be the culprit. I'm going to check there, thanks for your help!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. pnye71

pnye71 Ensign

Glad I'm not the only one with an issue. Thanks for the updates, both of you.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Adam Solo

Thank you for reporting the issue. I'm now on the final stages of analysis, and I can report that the transcommunication action does cause fleet corruption. After that point the game becomes hopelessly corrupted because ghost ships will appear and it's very hard to clean the state when that happens.

We should have a fix for that soon or in the next day or so. It only happens when you research and use transcommunication, so please try to avoid that for the time being in your current games until we fix the issue.

13. Adam Solo

I'm happy to report that the "glitchy ships" issue has been fixed. Transcommunication had a bug that caused ghost ships to appear which lead to game state corruption.

Thanks a lot to both of you for your bug reports and precious help in figuring out what the cause of the issue was! Without your help this would have been a very tricky and slow issue to solve.

So, the only way to avoid having this problem is to not use the Transcommunication tech (give orders to ships in transit) for the time being until we can push the fix into a new build.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. aReclusiveMind

Excellent, glad you were able to find and fix it!

Is that also why I couldn't move the fleet to Drirs at 1:10:17? I was stationed, and not mid flight, when I tried to move there.

EDIT: It is worth noting what we see at 1:07:10. The Sulak retreat, presumably to Drirs, with 9 frigates, 1 destroyer, 1 cruiser, 1 support ship, and 19 assault ships. I then try to move an additional 14 ships to that system. Perhaps that is too many ships for one system to handle?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  15. Adam Solo

That's a different issue. The system became unclickable but when you entered and got back you could then send your ships there at 1:12:57. Then you got the Glitchy Ships issue, but only after. So it's two different issues.

I think this unclickable system issue was resolved in hotfix2 and I see you were playing hotfix1 in the video. However, if you spot another system where you cannot send ships to, and you think you should be able to, please let us know.

16. aReclusiveMind

Thanks, I will. Not sure if you saw my edit, but is there a limit of ships that can be in a single system?

17. Adam Solo

There should be no limit. The reason the system was unclickable and you were not able to send ships there is a symptom that a previous window did not close normally, or as expected. We think this was solved when we solved another issue that didn't allow several combats to happen in the same turn. If that happens again we'll have a look at it.

18. pnye71

pnye71 Ensign

Happy to be of help. Keep up the good work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.