Good Leader Gone Bad

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by timoteob, Nov 22, 2021.

1. timoteob

timoteob Ensign

I have noticed that every now and then a leader that you have been cultivating for many turns will suddenly develop a bad trait (usually greedy or envious). So my question is this completely random or does the player have the ability to reduce the chances of this happening? I have tried things like quickly meeting their desires and not grouping ship leaders together, but it does not seem to help.

Thanks!

2. Björn

Björn Ensign

They have an initial attitude/trait which gives you a hint. I personally ignore any "Lonely Wolf" leader, because the chances are high that the others a complaining in the game later. But I think it is also part of the challenge to deal with that during the game.

3. timoteob

timoteob Ensign

Yeah, I know what you mean by some leaders being bad to start with, But, I had a run where leaders that are normally good pickup bad traits like crazy. I think difficulty level may have something to do with it. For this game I tried one level higher that my previous few games and this is when I noticed more bad traits than usual.

4. timoteob

timoteob Ensign

So I am leaning toward the traits being mostly, if not entirely, random. Started a new game at the same difficult level and followed the same basic play style with my leaders (quickly meeting demands and not grouping them together) and this time I have only received positive traits.

5. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Traits acquired have a random component but there are actions leaders take (e.g. how many battles they fight, how many projects they finish in their colonies, etc), and other factors that determine if a leader is more likely to develop a certain trait or not. Each leader also has internal hidden personality values that inform how likely a trait is to be aquired. For example, acquiring the greedy trait will depend on their ambition and neediness levels to a good extent. So, you should notice that certain leaders are more likely to develop certain traits over others.

6. timoteob

timoteob Ensign

Good information, thanks for sharing!