GPU melts on new planet screen

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by SilasOfBorg, Apr 22, 2020.

1. SilasOfBorg

SilasOfBorg Ensign

Hi guys,

I love the new look of the planet screen.

I do not quite as much love that my GPU fan kicks in and stays on the entire time I'm in the planet screen. According to performance monitor my GPU is maxxed out at 100% in the planet screen and 5-10% everywhere else.

I have a fairly decent machine (16GB, AMD Ryzen 5 1600, NVidia GTX 1660) and do not understand what on earth that screen might be doing. This behavior is new to 1.1+ so I assume there is still some optimization to be done?

Cheers,

SilasOfBorg

2. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

Thanks for the report. Glad you like the new screens!

There may still be some more optimizations in the future. One thing you could try is adjusting the graphics settings in the settings menu, if you haven't yet. If you are set on maximum right now, can you try reducing it to high or medium and let us know if you see any difference? I have a GTX 1660Ti, and on maximum I am seeing around 66% GPU usage in the colony screen. If I reduce that down to high or medium I drop to around 54% or 41% GPU usage.

3. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Hi,

if you want to reduce the graphics 3D rendering usage in the colony view you can try reducing the graphics quality as @aReclusiveMind suggests, or you can also try going with VSync count to 1:2 in the game settings instead of the default 1:1. This can reduce the frame rate a bit but it should bring the graphics card usage down.

This also depends on the terrain in question. Lava, Barren and Desert worlds should not go above 75% usage, even in Maximum with VSync 1:1, at least in my GeForce GTX 1050. In future optimizations, I'll check the Terran, Icy and Acid worlds to see what may be causing the 100% usage in the highest settings.

4. SilasOfBorg

SilasOfBorg Ensign

Some quick & dirty tests:

Swamp World, Low Graphics, 1:2 Vsync: averages around 30%, bouncing between 20% and 35%
    Swamp World, Low Graphics, 1:1 Vsync: pretty steady 30%
    Swamp World, Med Graphics, 1:2 VSync: pretty steady 47%
    Swamp World, Med Graphics, 1:1 VSync: pretty steady 94%
    Swamp World, High Graphics, 1:2 VSync: pretty steady 87%
    Swamp World, High Graphics, 1:1 VSync: maxxed out
    Swamp World, Max Graphics, 1:2 VSync: pretty steady 90%
    Swamp World, Max Graphics, 1:1 VSync: maxxed out

I tested Terran as well and they followed a similar pattern.

I've bumped things down to Medium 1:2 for now, and I honestly can't tell the difference between that and Max 1:1 (aside from the fact that I don't have to turn the volume up to hear the game over the whine of my video card!)

Maybe I'd notice a difference if I was playing on a 4k monitor instead of a 1680x1050 window. But if I had a 4k monitor I'd have a beefier graphics card. :D

Thanks both for the quick response and hard work on the game, as always!

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 2