Graphic Display Problem

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by timoteob, Sep 23, 2021.

1. timoteob

timoteob Ensign

I have an inconsistent graphic display problems and I was hoping someone had a solution. It has 5 main effects:
    1. SOME leader images do not display anywhere in the game (Leader screen, Planet screen, Ship screen) Other display all the time. Sorry I cannot remember the names of the ones the do and do not.
    2. SOMETIMES the notification icons on the right side of the GUI do not display. The mouse over text displays, but the icons are not visible. There does not seem to be any consistency as to which one are visible..
    3. SOME leader skill icons do not display.
    4. Enemy fleet movement lines heading to my planets are not visible. If I click on the fleet I can see the ETA and destination, but no line.
    5. SOME of the icons for the culture perks are not visible. These are consistent, but I can not remember what they are right now.
    The first thing i did was update the graphic card drivers, which did not improve the situation.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Timoteob

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Hi timoteob,

one thing that comes to mind for you to not be able to see so many graphical items is that perhaps something is preventing it from showing. If you have updated the graphic card drivers and the situation did not improve, then could you check if your anti-virus software (e.g. AVG, Norton, Avast, McFee, etc), if you have an anti-virus, and create an exception for the game (adding the executable to an exclusion/clear list could do the trick)?

In any case, could you please let me know your system specs, most importantly, the operating system, graphics card and amount of RAM and free disk space available?

Also, could please send me the 'Player' and 'Player-prev' log files you can see in this folder? C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\LocalLow\Praxis Games\ISG\
    Note: If you can't access the folder, can you please tell Windows to show hidden folders (check this link for instructions)?

What game version are you playing by the way? Steam, GOG, or Humble Bundle?

Thanks,
    Adam

3. timoteob

timoteob Ensign

Adam,

Thanks for the fast reply.

So I add and exception with my virus scanner for the entire folder and still the same issue.

The display is a Geforce GTX660 2GB memory
    I am running Win7 64 bit (yeah, I know but it is my gaming only rig and I have some games that don't run on Win10).
    16 Gb of memory
    Core i5-3570
    250GB SSD with 75GB free.

I have the GOG version with the most recent patch.

Timoteob

Attached Files:

• Logs.zip
      File size:
      55.8 KB
      Views:
  4. Adam Solo

Thanks for providing your system specs and the log.

The game should run in Windows 7, so long the correct DirectX version is installed.

Inspecting the log you sent, I see the following entries:

Code:
    d3d11: QueryInterface(IDXGIFactory5) failed (80004002).
    Direct3D:
        Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.0]
    and many faulty entries like the following:
    Code:
    async texture load: failed to load ...
    This suggests that perhaps either an updated DirectX version is required on your system, or that something is preventing loading the images you report being missing (all those "async texture load: failed" messages are images failing to load).

Occasionally, when installing a game on GOG, files can become corrupted which makes the game unable to run, or cause unexpected behaviors. Could you please verify/repair your installation? Here's how to do it:
    upload_2021-9-24_9-50-10.png

If that doesn't solve it, please try uninstalling and installing the game again.

If the above don't do it, please try installing DirectX 11.1 (I see in the log you have version 11.0). You can find the download and install instructions here. Look for :" Method 2: DirectX 11.1 for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1".

Let me know if the above worked.

5. timoteob

timoteob Ensign

I will try the above when I get home. I should have tried updating DirectX before posting. Sorry! :rolleyes:

Just one point of clarification though. I installed using GOG's "Off line installer" option (or whatever they call it). Since I did not use the web interface, do you know if the verification will work in this case?

Thanks!

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  6. Adam Solo

No worries!

In that case, it's less likely it's a file integrity issue. In any case, maybe it's worth a check to see if the installar downloaded correctly. You could check this post for instructions on how to obtain the expected md5 checksum, to see if the actual md5 of your offline installer file is what it's supposed to be. To obtain the MD5 of your installer file you could try the tool mentioned here, for example. If they coincide, then the installer should be ok.

You could always download the offline installer again and uninstall and install the game using that new installer file, just in case.

Another idea that came to mind is if you have permissions to access all the files in your installation folder, which I see is inside \Program files (x86)\ Could you please try installing the game in a different folder to see if it works? If not, could you try running the game in Administrator mode? Please go to the installation folder and click the right mouse button on top of the isg.exe file, and then choose "Run as Administrator".

Hope that helps.

7. timoteob

timoteob Ensign

So this is exactly what I did and everything displays just fine now.

Thanks for the help. I can't commend you enough for the quality of your tech support. I have gotten much less help from bigger companies that should have more resources for tech support.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    • ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 2
  8. Adam Solo

You're welcome, and thanks for the kind words! I'm glad to hear everything displays fine now.