Hello. Just some initial thoughts.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Al Church, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Al Church

Al Church Cadet

A friend called me a couple weeks ago to tell me about IS:G. He and I played every early 4x space game. Reach for the stars, Armada 2525 (I still run this on a dosbox now and then), and all the Master of Orion games. I tend to shy away from the modern games because I can;t stand "real time" battles. So, I was happy to hear about IS:G. Here are some of my thoughts, complaints, accolades, etc...

Where does the name come from? Interstellar Space seems lackluster and redundant. :(

I love the "Telescope exploring." I wish it matched the scroll level and map position of my galaxy view. For example, if I am looking at the upper left of the galaxy, when I explore, It would be nice if the explore screen was the same instead of Zoomed out viewing the entire galaxy. I have a difficult time viewing the layer underneath at the galaxy level.

I really like the "Achievement" tech and the "building" tech. It really beats the "Get-a-tech-build-the-building-on-each-planet" drudgery. Then I can focus on putting buildings that are actually needed for a planet... (I am kind of annoyed that I get multiple options to adjust the gravity on a perfect planet... But recently as I was going to lose a planet I made sure the planet I let behind was the wrong gravity for those warmongers.)

Speaking of buildling, I like the construction slots. I've had to make a couple interesting decisions on what to build because of "lack of room"

Galactic Events are great. There are some interesting choices, I hate when I get them early in the game and I don;t have the money. Are three plans for more of them? After 4 or 5 games, I'm not seeing any new events.

OMG, Multiplayer! Please. :)

Leaders, I enjoy dealing with their desires. I love upgrading them, I would love to "cultivate" them thought. it seems pretty random what secondary skills pop up. I think someone mentioned a leader Tech Tree. That would be cool.

I haven't turned off the music yet when I play. That's usually the first thing I do. I like the soundtrack.

Starting positions can be weird sometimes. In a Huge World with two players, I started at 3:00 O'clock on the right. The enemy started at 2:00 O'Clock just a little north of me. We ran into each other as soon as I build my first colony. This made for an interesting game, but the building-up didn't happen the way I hoped. That only happened the one time though.

The Ground combat is really lack luster. It's just not fun to watch a single Bar go back and forth with odds to win.

I like the Habitat and Terraforming... Once I figured it out. I'm still not 100% sure I have it figured out. Did I miss that in the tutorial? My buddy walked me through it. But it was the blind leading the blind.

I love the game and will be playing it quite a bit. I look forward to multiplayer one day.

Thank you for making this.

• Helpful Helpful x 4
  2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Hi there, thanks for buying the game and welcome to the forums!

It's funny you ask because to this day I don't recall anybody asking that, so I thank you for the question :)

One of our favorite movies is Interstellar. That movie is one of the inspirations for making this game. I think that movie captures the tone we wanted to offer for this game, one of concern for the future of Humanity, but also one of hope that one day Humans can venture in the stars., meet other life and not be bound to our homeworld anymore. We could not use that name alone, of course :) Interstellar Space seemed like a good name to convey the idea that the game is played in space and that the action happens out there, outside our solar system, in interstellar space, outside the sun's influence. The Genesis part comes from the game's lore and story, to be explored further in the expansions. So, this was just the beginning!

I understand. We did it like this so the player can have the full grasp of the current status of remote exploration. I think we also did it like this for technical reasons. You can still zoom in and pan around the remote exploration layer.

Yes, that was the idea, to avoid too much micromanagement with the buildings and too much unnecessary repetition by going with more meaningful buildings constrained by construction slots.

The gravity options are there. The idea behind that was to allow full flexibility, so you could change the gravity that is not ideal to one species living in the world but ideal to another. The game was developed to support multi-species in colonies, and we'll probably explore that in the expansions.

Events that require too much money should not appear too often in the beginning. And if they do you could always scrap a building or a ship if you really want to choose a particular option.

We plan on offering more events down the road!

While the focus is still 100% on offering the best single-player experience, multiplayer options may be a possibility for the future.

We will consider adjusting the secondary skills leaders get to reflect a bit more the skills they already have. As time allows we may consider this.

Awesome! Mr Ryan McQuinn and Mr Grant Kirkhope really did make a great soundtrack, and we couldn't be happier and prouder of it. It even won an award on the Global Music Awards of 2019!

This can happen from time to time, but should be rare. If this happens too often we can look into it.

Yes, we have plans to offer a more immersive ground combat resolution than the actual "single bar going back and forth" :)

It can take some time to understand all the subtle details and nuances about the planetary engineering model. You should get a good grasp about it by inspecting the tooltips on the planetary engineering area of the colony view screen and by reading the tooltips of both the Terrestrial Terraforming and Atmospheric Terraforming technologies.

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying playing!

3. JOM

JOM Ensign

Regarding the events, maybe you could allow players to choose during setup the severity, frequency and game progress when they appear first? So both those who dont like them and those who likes them will be happy campers. :)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019