How is planet size determined with planet construction tech?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pnye71, Dec 30, 2018.

1. pnye71

pnye71 Ensign

Got planetary construction tech, 4 sources of antimatter and out of my first 4 or 5 planets constructed, 2 were huge UR with ideal biome. I know one came from a gas giant, but the other may have been a small/tiny barren or small asteroid belt. Does the size of the planet or belt used have an bearing on the planet size constructed?

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

No, right now the size of the constructed planet on gas giants, asteroid belts and barren worlds does not have any bearing on the size of the object that was used as a basis. The obtained size is completely random as of now.

Biome type, mineral richness and ecology level do depend on the level of antimatter you have available.

3. pnye71

pnye71 Ensign

So that's right now. What is the long-term plan?

4. Adam Solo

There is no current plan to change that funcionality. You are one of the first to report ever using that function, so you tell me :) What do you think of it? Do you think the constructed planet's size should be linked to the system object's size? Do you have any further comments on that funcionality? Thanks!

5. pnye71

pnye71 Ensign

Well maybe limit max size to medium with tiny barren. With small barren or small asteroid belt limit max size to large. Just seems to make sense. Anyways planet construction can result in some very nice planets. If you have the time to build em up and populate quickly they could be quite powerful.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. pnye71

pnye71 Ensign

May have posted this before, but with planet construction in mind, any possibility of using barren/belt/gas giants with an existing outpost for constructing planets?

7. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

I've used the planet construction option a few times. It is quite useful if you want to create a tall empire and get unlucky with decent systems near your homeworld (especially in hardcore difficulty). It just comes so late in the game that the game is usually decided by the time I get it. I expect this to change when the AI improves.

I like that it offers an option for players who like to turtle with defensive concentrated empires. Obviously warmongers aren't going to need this technology since they will just subjugate the ideal worlds of other races to do their bidding.

Not a bad idea at all. I didn't know the answer until Adam chimed in, but now that I do, your suggestions on limiting the planet sizes from those smaller sources makes a lot of sense.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

I've noticed the tech and thought about it many times... but
    It is hard to argue this. Even in games where I sit back and don't attack, (just build up) I can have 10-20 colonies by the time this tech becomes feasible.
    Now if it were possible to fine tune the tech, so that smaller worlds could be constructed earlier, while also incorporating some of the points raised by @pnye71 well then it would be a different story.

Right now, even with a crappy start, it's easier to settle hostile worlds and focus on tech to make them productive, those hostile worlds then expand my range and eventually I find something nice. Creating a world from scratch, when the tech becomes available so late in the game, doesn't give the time to really develop it.

TLDR

The tech comes too late and is not a need. It needs some revisions.

Edit

Just to make my meaning clear, there is nothing wrong with having some aspects of the game be optional for lack of a better word. A player can use this feature, it's there, but doesn't "need" to

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. CrazyElf

CrazyElf Lieutenant

I think it should be somewhere in the middle of what Konstantine said. Too late in the game makes it more of a "oh look at me" showpieces (an example it being the plant equal to an impractical superweapon).

Too early makes planets too cheap and people focusing on creating artificial planets as opposed to colonization.

So I think the correct balance is somewhere in the middle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Olaf

Olaf Cadet

Hi Guys, is the size of the constructed planets still random?
    I love this game so much, but i fear i am not a big fan off randomness. ^^

Ideal i would like to size from GasGiants basis to a new large (or mabye huge) Planet.
    And from belts one size more as the basis is. Small Belt = medium Planet; medium Belt = large Planet; large Belt = huge Planet.

greetings Olaf

11. Adam Solo

Hi there. The size of constructed planets is now semi-random. So, the size of the original object now influences how big the constructed planet will be.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  12. Jolly Joker

Jolly Joker Cadet

I think, the tech is well placed in its slot which is the same as gravity "correction". It makes a lot of difference what you are researching when, and when you give it priority (because you have 3+ anti-matter and a number of usable planets in spe) it's way better than researching all the hostile stuff to be able to terraform and ecologize the crappy stuff - that you also have to colonize with colony ships, mostly.
    For these, a Colony BASE will suffice. So in the Sol system, you can make Jupiter and the Asteroid Belt 2 awesome planets (instead of wasting time with Venus and Mars, as an example).

MY question here is, whether there shouldn't be a SHIP - a Planet Construction Ship - that can do the trick in systems you don't have a colony in. Makes the process a lot more expensive - but, hey, you can colonize Black Holes then...

Just an idea.

13. Adam Solo

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually, this suggestion to allow constructing planets in systems without colonies was already in the big list of items to consider at some point :)

14. Jolly Joker

Jolly Joker Cadet

15. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Lieutenant

Are you sure about this (I mean, I know you coded it, but maybe you forgot)? I always take Planet Construction, and I've only gotten planets above Medium from Gas Giants ever. I did a series of reloads to test this--25x small asteroid belt always <= Medium, 25x small barren (Mercury) <= Medium, 25x Jupiter Huge 8 times.

16. Adam Solo

Hi Plotinus,

another player asked the same question some posts above. As I replied back then, originally it was indeed fully random, but now the size of the original object does influence how big the constructed planet will be.

17. PlotinusRedux

PlotinusRedux Lieutenant

Oh, sorry, I didn't notice the original posts were from 2018.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  18. Adam Solo

No problem. I linked the posts with a similar question so you could have more context. And, yes, a lot has happened since 2018 :)