Imperium Galactica I & II on sale!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by rxnnxs, Sep 24, 2018.

1. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Thank you Konstantine for mentioning this game, I never heard about them in the past, looked them up today and see:
    They are soo cheap, I just bought them right away!
    Up to the end of this months, it costs:
    Imperium Galactica I for 1,24€ and
    Imperium Galactice II for 2,49€!

Well.. time to check it out of not already owned and played!

2. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Your welcome my friend, Imperium Galactica 2 is outstanding! Ground units and combat are just as comprehensive as space combat, buildings can be destroyed etc. There are 3 seperate campaigns, sandbox mode and many scenarios.
    The game is 20 years old now and yet offers so much that has not been replicated since, it isn't perfect, but prepare yourself for a fascinating and fun experience.

3. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Thank you for mentioning it, I have to admit, or lets say I remembered by looking at it, that I knew that game from former times, BUT, I never got far, because the UI is so... not my taste, that I did not have any interest in digging into this game.
    And the absolute NoGo is the rotating Ship Icon!
    Nonetheless, I hope I overcome these little annoyances, as well as the UI as a whole.
    Because I trust your judgement and there must be more in this game than it looks at the first glance.

Many people though say, that Part I is even better. What do you say? I read that in part I they took their time to design for each race different cities. I'd say it better the other way around: In the second Part, they just took one model for all races. Hmmm.

And by the way, what I wrote/mentioned in the Colony Thread, it is done in this game: night and day! Not bad for such a game.

4. Konstantine

Yes the UI does take some getting use to, a lot of click and hold if I remember to select your commands, of course there are keyboard shortcuts as well.
    The rotating ship icon didn't bother me, artificial gravity by centrifugal force is one way of looking at it. Besides, in combat, there is no rotation so it is simply there for aesthetic purposes on the main map.
    Now to be honest, I have both one and two but have never played one, The Graphics are just too primitive in one but I will give it a go one of these days.
    The cities in two are very intricate and you have greater freedom in constructing them, they may be generic, but you have many types of terrain. Volcanic, Terran, Ice, Desert, etc. You can pan, zoom and change orientation, you can look at your city top-down, or actually feel like you are driving through the streets. Sometimes it rains on your worlds, you see it and hear it, along with the occasional thunder and lightning, on other worlds it may snow, at other times you can hear birds chirping... this was done in 98!

But the strategic depth of the game is un-matched, it is also difficult as can be. Take your time and explore it, you will be amazed at what they packed into it. If I can offer any hints or answer any questions... you know where to find me:)

5. rxnnxs

rxnnxs Ensign

Thank you very much, this sounds really amazing!

6. Blake00

Blake00 Cadet

One of my favourite all times series. In fact it was my love for Imperium Galactica that made me find ISGenesis as I was making a tribute website to Imperium Galactica and was looking for similar games to tribute and found this one. Tributed ISG, then promptly forgot about it for 2 years and then rediscovered it and bought it recently hence my arrival here haha.

Anyway I was so happy when THQ Nordic re-released the IG games on Steam and GoG. These games were huge in the 90s and it was almost like the world had forgotten them! I was pleased that they updated IG2 to have some of the ipad version enhancements and also gave it support for modern resolutions. There's a fan remake of IG1 called OpenIG that perfectly recreates the original game but with modern resolutions and GUI enhancements. So by playing OpenIG and the re-release of IG2 you can basically play the whole series in HD these days! :)

Couple of years back I made videos showing off how they can be played in HD. I plan to do a video tour of ISGenesis soon too btw! :)

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  7. Konstantine

IG2 is one of my all time favorites as well, it did many things well that have yet to be replicated by more modern games. Colony development for example goes in the opposite direction of what games do today...granted some shortcuts would be welcome, but for being a product of its time, it is still an outstanding game.

• Agree Agree x 1