Improving End Game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Master of Worlds, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Master of Worlds

Master of Worlds Cadet

I'm probably not alone in finding it takes a little too long to close out a game. Frequently, I have to replace careful strategy with just bombing out every enemy planet until I win an election. A good game though, can take hours to setup--so I was thinking of a few aspects from other games that could be incorporated to improve the game:

Change Empire on Load: It would be fun to have the option to switch which Empire I am playing as. This feature is in Hearts of Iron (a WWII game): once I started as the Germans, steamrolled my neighbors, then switched to playing as the Americans against a superpowered Germany. My favorite games are often those in which I must overcome a superior opponent--and sometimes I wish I could play against the Empire I built.

Vassal States (Protectorates): Conquest victory takes too long, and huge empires require too much management. When playing Civ4, I would force defeated empires to become vassals (unequal alliance + tribute)--saving me the trouble of finishing the conquest and managing my planets. These vassals then count toward a conquest victory. Something similar would be useful in Genesis to make closing out a game less tedious.