Leaders can have both Greedy and Philanthropic traits?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by SilasOfBorg, Jul 1, 2021.

1. SilasOfBorg

SilasOfBorg Ensign

So I've been regularly keeping Jon Squeeg happy, fulfilling desires, etc. He recently picked up BOTH the "Greedy" (several turns ago) and "Philanthropic" (this turn) trait.

I assume this is a bug -- if not I am confused as to which trait applies. Do they cancel each other out?

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Hi, thanks for your feedback. No, technically it isn't a bug. The 'Greedy' and 'Philanthropic' traits are not incompatible to have in the same leader at the same time. The idea is that a leader may be philanthropic towards the people they govern, but act greedily towards the people in power. It has been a long time, but I believe that was the idea :)

That said, it may make sense for them to be incompatible because their specification evolved with time. While Philanthropic leaders asks for lower amounts in merit raises, Greedy ones ask for more. So, in that regard, I suppose they should be incompatible. I'm also not sure which trait would apply in that case. Looking at the code it's the Philanthropic one, but that's just because that's what's checked last :)

I believe they should be incompatible in their current specification. However, I don't recall if there were other implications for them not to be. I'll have to think about it. Thanks.

3. SilasOfBorg

SilasOfBorg Ensign

Thanks for the explanation Adam! I haven't got to another Merit raise with Mr. Squeeg yet, but he's demanding +3 on regular level-ups which IIRC is coming from Greedy and not Philanthropic. Regardless of the "flavor" of both traits their implementations are diametric opposites, and I would agree that in their current form it doesn't make sense for a leader to have both of them.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1