Losing the vote

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Konstantine, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

I recently lost the council vote and decided to fight on. I noticed then a certain peculiarity that I want to comment on.

Prior to the vote, I was already at war with all the alien factions, some of which were also at war with one another. When I declined to accept the council ruling, all factions once again were at war with me, but they did not make peace with each other. This seems off.

In MoO2 when this happened, all factions combined into one, the winner’s color. I do not think doing that in ISG would be a good idea as the colony maintenance costs from such a move could be catastrophic for the winner.

That said, perhaps a nice, easy to implement compromise would be helpful. For example, all the aliens could cease any wars between them and immediately form alliances with one another. This scenario would be the akin to the forming of a confederation rather than a single unitary state. The current behavior here just seems odd, and it doesn’t help the AI, which by all rights, should be taking advantage of the combined might of the factions rather than continuing any conflicts between them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Kharn

Kharn Lieutenant

3. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Thank you, I just read your post and agree with what you wrote, but with a single qualifier. The council winner taking control of all other star systems could prove to be fatal to them. Colony maintenance costs in ISG rise exponentially, with a formula of number of total systems times number of total systems minus the HW. so if you have twelve total the formula gives 12x11 = 132 BC per turn, not much of an issue here. But at say 60 systems, (not an unreasonable number for a huge map), the cost is 60x59= 3,540 BC per turn. And that doesn't include buildings or other expenses.
    In light of that then, I prefer what you wrote in your post as a better solution. The AIs immediately cease all wars among themselves and enter into research, trade, mining, and alliance treaties, (if they don't already exist), at once. I believe this would deal with the issue quite nicely.

P.S.
    Glad to see I'm not alone in refusing the vote. Molon Labe :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kharn

Kharn Lieutenant

you're right, I didn't think about that.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1