Neutronium Shells Do Not Appear to Be Working

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by timoteob, Oct 1, 2021.

1. timoteob

timoteob Ensign

So when I ran across Neutronium, I selected "Harm". I then researched Neutronium Shells and equipped some ships with particle accelerators. According to the mouse over these babies should dish out 17 damage, please see below:

[​IMG]

However, the actual damage was only 22, (10+1)*2 = 22, again please see below:

[​IMG]

Not sure if i am missing something or if this is a genuine bug.

I am playing the most recent GOG version and I have attached a save game/logs per the instructions. Advance the turn and the first and only battle will demonstrate this.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• Save.zip
      File size:
      546.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. timoteob

timoteob Ensign

I've been playing around with that battle some more and found that the shield piercing modification seems to work inconsistently. In the example above, the damage did pierce the shields (both the damage absorbing and the damage blocking aspects) and did 22 damage to the armor.

However, in the image below the log shows 22 damage, but the armor was only reduced to 46/60. So in this case it appears that the piercing by passed the damage absorbing aspect of the shields (note they are still at full strength), but not the damage blocking (10-3) * 2 = 14 and 60-14=46.

[​IMG]

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. timoteob

timoteob Ensign

I hate to keep bringing stuff like this up, but the crew xp bonus may not be calculating correctly as well. In my first post the damage was base damage + crew xp bonus, which is 10% or 1 point of damage: (10+1)*2=22, but in the second example is was only 14 damage done, I assume it was calculated as follows: (10-3)*2=14. Even without the shield and neutronium issue, I would have expected 16 damage (10+1-3)*2 = 16. The only explanation that I can think of is the crew xp damage bonus is not being applied.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Hi timoteob,

thanks for your bug reports. There were indeed two bugs in the space combat as you report.

One bug is when using Neutronium Shells, which was not being accounted for the final damage calculations.

The second issue was related with the use of shield piercing weapons when the opponent had shields overloaded (shields in orange state), as reported in your second post above. The shields overload state was causing damage to be blocked by shields (double points blocked when overloaded), when in fact no shield blocking should happen with shield piercing weapons.

Both issues have been resolved and a fix will be available in a next update.

As for your third post, I believe the issue you experienced could have been related with one of the first two. I've checked the crew XP damage bonus and it appears to be working correctly.

Thanks for your feedback!

5. timoteob

timoteob Ensign

Good to hear!

Thanks for the tip on the yellow shields = overload shields, I totally missed that.

I have to add, that having a player accessible combat log was great design choice. It really is useful for understanding what is going on and making sure everything is working as it should.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1