new 3D colony view

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JOM, Oct 21, 2019.

1. JOM

JOM Ensign

I read that you want to introduce a new 3D colony view in isg 1.05. thats good IMO, because the colony view atm is very weak. I suggest that you before you put your idea how to implement the new view into the forums for the fans to discuss. Maybe there are creative talents :) among them.

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

We're working on the new colony 3D graphics but that will only come after the 1.0.5 patch, as announced in Quick Update #6. We did our best to identify what people found could use improvement in the colony view graphics-wise. We're confident the improvements will meet the expectations, and that both the people who don't mind the current graphics and the ones who think they should be improved will appreciate the changes.

I take the opportunity to clarify that on top of the new colony 3D graphics, we're also working on completely new ship 3D models for all races, a UI revamp, and graphical improvements to the galaxy map, diplomacy view, system view, and space combat. All of these graphical updates will be provided for free as part of a future content update.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  3. JOM

JOM Ensign

sorry my fault. maybe you could a little elaborate what in the colony interface you intend to change here in the forum?

Regarding the new ship models, well I dont care about them. The problem is that your 3D models always will be compared with those models in more advanced and expensive games like Galciv3 etc. so except you have alot of money at your hand or extremely hard working and creative graphic designers, (like stardock surely has employed) you will not be able to compete, regardless of new 3D models or not.

I am for my part fully satisfied with the 2D models in the tactical combat system. I dont need 3D ship models, especially because they are only fully visible during ship design. In GalcivIII those 3D models are also used on the map, so they are following the wysiwyg concept and thus much more useful than in ISG.

Btw. I am also no fan of the colony building menu. If I buy a building it should have the same graphics as later its optical representation in the colony and not 2 different ones. I know you took the concept of pictures from the buildings from Endless space, but in this game using pictures make sense because there is no colony screen like in ISG.

4. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

Hi JOM. Thanks for taking the time to post and provide your feedback.

All I can say at this point is I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with what we have in store.

ISG actually follows the same wysiwyg concept as Galciv III. The current models are actually 3D, not 2D. I understand that they can appear 2D based on the tactical combat view, which is displayed at only a slight angle, but as you can see in the ship designer, they are already 3D. We will see what we can do to make their 3D nature more apparent in tactical combat.

5. JOM

JOM Ensign

ah. ok I see. it was not really obvious at the first glance. Well my argument changes of course if you can provide the 3D model fully visible from different angels in the tactical combat too. Then its wysiwyg too. Just take into account that modders will have it more easy to develope new sets of ships if they are 2D. (except you create a phantastic 3D model editor like galciv3 does)

6. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Ideally, we'd prefer to have the same graphics in the building option as it appears in the colony view. Most of them are like that but a few aren't because we felt some concepts were conveyed better with an alternate 2D representation, like the Vault, for example. That said, we may harmonize that at some point.