New Request: Colonize Mars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joe3, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Joe3

Joe3 Ensign

I've played more than 5 or 6 games on A2a and A2b and run into this situation each time. Whoever I have in charge of Sol/Terra asks for a colony on Mars. This happens just a few turns after he/she reaches the planet, maybe 6 to 10 turns. Every game! And in every game I have had no need or reason to colonize Mars, e.g. other better planets available, other earth-type planets available, no colony ships even close to completion, etc. I can see this is a plausible request, but IMO it should not come so early in the game. Hope this doesn't offend anyone, it's just my personal gripe and/or suggestion.

2. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Hi @Joe3
    Great to see you again. Tell me, had you already researched desert colonization before the requests kicked in?

3. Joe3

Joe3 Ensign

Hello again, Konstantine. Nice to hear from you, too.

The answer is, possibly. I like to play a "development" game (huge galaxy, few opponents, time to get things rolling, etc.). So usually, I do some exploring and some other research first. I've been lucky; most games I find an Earth-type planet or two and go for them before I research Swamp or Desert. But I see your point: why would the AI ask for a colony on a planet it knows I can't colonize? I'm going to pay attention to that next game and see what happens.

Nevertheless, I stand by my "complaint". Assuming I had researched Desert Colonization, the request still, in my opinion, comes all too soon. Given the time it takes to build a Colony Ship, and my usual inability to build two at the same time this early in the game, I think that request ought to be delayed somewhat. And especially if I've already used my one original ship on a Terran world.

Yes, I sometimes (rarely) take the second, free, colony ship via Space Culture advancement, if there is a really good planet available. But that is not usual, and if I do take it, it goes immediately to the Terran world. The AI knows this, I guess, so why ask me to take Mars?

I sure don't know how to make changes like that (I was a fund raiser, not a developer), or if it's even feasible, but that's what I'd like to see.

By the way, and off this topic, thanks again for your Quick Start Guide. I still use it sometimes. It's excellent. I do hope, however, that the devs are planning some kind of manual. This game has...what?...a million fine points of play and it's easy for an old guy like me to get confused. I'm just thinking out loud. Anyway, thanks again.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  4. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

Don't worry, they are including tutorial tips in-game, and an updated quick start guide will be available in a few days.
    I understand about the request and agree with you, there should be a minimum number of turns before it fires, enough time should elapse so that the player can pump out a colony ship in a reasonable amount of time

5. Joe3

Joe3 Ensign

OK, Konstantine, thanks. Glad you agree. Hope the devs are seeing this. Glad to know an update to the quick start guide is on the way. The tutorial tips are OK, but old fashioned me, I kinda like the idea of a manual. See you around.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  6. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

I attenuated the triggering for this desire a bit. The desire will also not trigger too soon now.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Joe3

Joe3 Ensign

Why, thanks, Adam! I really appreciate that.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1