Saved game, long turns and load times

Discussion in 'Bug Reports / Tech Support' started by Dewbacca, May 15, 2022.

1. Dewbacca

Dewbacca Cadet

Over in the Steam forums Adam asked for a copy of this save game to see if there was any useful info.

It's the current game version, not the new beta. That most likely explains my latest failure

I wish I could finish it, I was close to an achievement, but I can cope.

Hrmm, it's not accepting the file because of an "unknown file extension".
    Do I need to zip it?

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Hi, yes please try zipping the file before attaching it here. Thanks!

3. Dewbacca

Dewbacca Cadet

Maybe this will work. It's a big game.

Attached Files:

4. Dewbacca

Dewbacca Cadet

Worked twice as good as the first try!

5. Adam Solo

Can't load the save. Something broke in that game session and maybe the session or the save got corrupted somehow. If the save does load and it just takes ages, there could be some edge case that caused this slowdown.

The current 1.4 Beta version did significant improvements and performance optimizations that could have addressed this. So, hopefuly you'll not get this issue now, but if you do please let me know. Thanks.

6. Adam Solo

Ok, eventually the save loaded. I see you have 216 colonies in a Gigant map with plenty of planets. Ok, this can be seen as the ultimate stress test on the game :) It does load, but takes time. The new version is more optimized, so this kind of configuration should load faster. I guess we'll see.

\Edit: The actual turn-processing went fast on my end (<20 seconds). I do have a SSD and a fast CPU. It was loading that save that took a long time.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
    • ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  7. Dewbacca

Dewbacca Cadet

It was a VERY LARGE game, lots of colonies, lots to do each turn.
    I have an Intel i7 CPU 2.80GHz with 16gig of ram, but my hard drive has been suspect for a while now. Booting Windows it peaks to 100% Hard drive use until everything is loaded, so maybe that's an issue on loading.

But turns take a long time and battles send my CPU fan into overdrive. I have to complete them ASAP to give it a break. I'm used to the long turns and just use them to refresh my coffee.

8. Dewbacca

Dewbacca Cadet

I promised you I would try and break the game, so for you to say that is an ultimate stress test gives me a small bit of joy.
    Thank you!

I'd like to say, the game is holding up better than my computer.

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1