Hot posts in thread: Support Ships

1. pnye71

pnye71 Ensign

Ok. Well even at a cost of 3 ssp for all support ships, I could get on board. Having the freebie built is enough, otherwise I tend to spam them as well..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Konstantine

Konstantine Grand Admiral

No, I'm sorry I need to clarify.
    I propose as the most streamlined solution that actually reflects the value of these ships, the cost of each support ship could be raised to 3SSP, regardless of how that ship was acquired.
    It does not need to scale at this rate.
    3SSPs is not prohibitive as far as maintenance costs go. Researching the tech gives you a free one, that means you do not incur the cost of building a ship, so I would pay that gladly. However, at 3SSP each, I would not be spamming these ships.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. pnye71

pnye71 Ensign

So are you proposing free of SSP cost on the ones granted via tech or the militia bonus and 3 SSP (per ship) for any you have to actually build?

4. Konstantine

Perhaps not Joe3, as your game starts to go long, the ability to generate SSPs increases.
    I'm running a lot of sessions right now to get a large sample size before committing my thoughts, you could be surprised by how high you can get your SSP count with a determined effort.
    For me it isn't as much about limiting the number of support ships a player uses, rather it's about a proportionate cost for these "gargantuan" ships that confer the benefits that they do.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Joe3

Joe3 Ensign

Speaking just for myself, I hope you leave it at 2. Otherwise, in a long game, I think I'd have to consider scrapping some of them. Reference Konstantin's post, above.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Konstantine

Just some quick clarification on this, what you wrote is partially true,
    In the past, it was the thought of researching the tech, building the ship, (quite an undertaking early on), and the SSP combined that deterred me.

With the current situation of getting a free ship once the tech is researched, I would certainly allow the 3 SSP for one. It would also be more in line with their capabilities, what do you think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Konstantine

What about a compromise then, the free support ship via tech, and possibly the free one by Militia event can be kept at the current 2 SSPs
    After that, go for the kill, 4 SSP each. It should keep things from getting out of hand. You would get your first ship at 2, and additional ones would cost 4

8. aReclusiveMind

aReclusiveMind Developer Grand Admiral

Does the one from tech cost any SSP? Not at the PC to confirm right now, but I think it is free? If that first one is free of any SSP cost, 3 SSP might be okay for subsequent ones. I just don't want the first one to be that expensive to maintain.

I am not sure if an increase to 3 will do enough to deter snowballing later on, but we could try it. I've never tried a heavy support ship strategy.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  9. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

The idea for Support Ships is that they can be crucial to boost underdeveloped offworld colonies production and terraforming efforts but would not make a big difference in the late game on already developed colonies since their bonuses are not percentages but absolute values. So, even if you have several support ships in the same system accumulating benefits their bonuses should not be as significant in developed colonies as they would in underdeveloped ones. If this is not the case then we can revise the numbers a bit.

In the past, support ships consumed 3 SSP. That was lowered to 2 during Pre-Alpha 9 because they were found to be too expensive to maintain so people wouldn't bother researching and building them. However, and since now the Offworld Support tech grants you one, we could think in revising the SSPs to 3 back again. What do you think?

10. aReclusiveMind

I could try to mock up some ways to display this to the player in an easily digestible way.

I have thought about other alternatives, for instance setting a hard limit of 1 support ship per system.

The upside to escalating their SSP usage instead of a hard limit is it allows a large empire more flexibility to really escalate a colony's growth if they need to. The upside of a hard limit of 1 support ship per system is that it is simpler to understand.

That part of my suggestion is related to fixing the snowballing/stacking of Support Ships being an issue.

I believe system wide vs. colony wide benefits is a separate issue. I am not opposed to also limiting the ships to a single colony, but it does present a need to assign and track what they are assigned to. This could also be cumbersome to do, but existing UI elements could be used to do it. Perhaps if we implement a solution to the snowball we don't need to also limit colony vs. system.

11. Konstantine

Funny enough, after I posted this, I too ran into a system with 2 ideal and three tolerable worlds in it.
    In that case, allow me to re-phrase your honor
    5 planets is rare... but not inconceivable.

12. Wodzu

Wodzu Lieutenant

Saying that I never exaggerate would be an exaggeration ;) but I tend to weight my words carefully, see the screenshot above:) For me, these are good planets, already colonized two :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. Wodzu

Wodzu Lieutenant

5_planets.png

For me all these planets are decent :) I took Resilient Settlers perk and I intend to colonize all of them! I don't care if they will suffer from bad conditions, my race must prevail at all costs!!! :)

Yes, that is why I wanted to propose as well. Player could pick what planet he would like to boost and if no choice has been made, a planet with smallest production capability could be picked automatically.

That is not a bad idea either, although it complicates math a little, might be hard to grasp when you look at your summary of SSP usage.

Of course, they are great idea which just need a little balancing, that is all.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Konstantine

Excellent!

I know this wasn't for me, and 5 planets is an exaggeration , two however in the same system happens often enough, and three is not un-heard of... however, if something were done as you suggest about SSPs to maintain these ships, Then I think it would balance very nicely.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. aReclusiveMind

Where are you finding 5 suitable planets for colonization in a single system? :confused:
    I rarely find more than 1 decent planet in a system on the hardcore difficulty.

I wouldn't mind the difference being to a single colony rather than the entire system as this is how I am using them anyway. I also typically only use the initial one that is provided for free.

It sounds like the issue than is that something needs to be done to deter this behavior.

What if each subsequent support ship cost double the SSP to maintain?
    The first costs 2 as-is. The second would cost 4 SSP, the third 8, fourth 16, and so on?

I can't say I'm on board with dramatically reducing the benefits they provide. If that happens I am afraid they will return to the state they were in during earlier versions of the game where they weren't used at all. They also make terraforming and eco-engineering much more attractive.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Konstantine

I agree with this, especially now where you get a free one by researching the tech, and can also get another one by event choice.
    Then of course there is this
    I take advantage of this too much, though my own "house rules" mean that I limit myself to a maximum of two such ships.

Perhaps, altering them to give a small flat boost, to a single colony rather than an entire system, would offer better balance?

17. Wodzu

Wodzu Lieutenant

@Joe3 you just need to hoover your mouse over certain elements in the game and you will get an explanation. For example, if you produced a support ship and it is orbiting around your system, then you can go to a planet on this system, hoover mouse over production and you will see how much you are gaining from support ship.

18. Wodzu

Wodzu Lieutenant

Yest, that is what I meant. In my opinion they give you a huge boost at the begining and then you can snowball with them. Also they give you boost for entire system, so if you have 5 planets in the system you got 5 times more production out of one ship :)

What I mean by snowball? I mean, that one ship makes easier to construct another one, then you can use these two to construct third and so on...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. aReclusiveMind

I assumed OP was overpowered as that is what I always see it used to mean.

20. Joe3

Joe3 Ensign

Dumb question Nr. 268,434: What is OP? Over Powered? Over Priced?

But just to continue the thread, I managed to build 2 last game, but honestly, I don't know how much impact they had on their systems. Of course I didn't look at my planet/system summary either.

Which brings up another thought: this game has a LOT of good stuff in it, but it's not always apparent what it is or what it does, or what it results in, etc., etc. That's an observation, not a complaint. I'm fairly sure the devs will deal with that aspect eventually. I hope.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1