Tech Brokering set-up box doesn't seem to be working

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kilgore Trout, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Cadet

I set up my last two games with the Tech Brokering box unchecked (turned off), yet I can still trade techs that I did not research myself but acquired through trade. I am using the most current version of your great game. Thanks!

P.S. Love the game! For what it's worth, I usually like to just turn all tech trading off in my 4x games. If such a button could be implemented easily some day, it might be something to consider.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Hi there, good catch. Tech Brokering was not working as intended. The effects were actually switched from what they were supposed to allow. So, when you set Tech Brokering to off, it allowed trading all techs, and when enabled, only player-researched tech trading would be allowed, which was the opposite of what was intended.

I've resolved the issue and a fix will be up in the next update.

PS: I'm glad to hear you're loving the game! :) As for turning tech trading off completely as an option, that would be unlikely as tech trading is an important feature of the game tied to the way treaties work. Don't worry about tech trading spam because in ISG tech trading is only possible with a research treaty, which requires very good relations between the parties. And, tech trading between the AIs is reasonable (i.e. they do not exchange everything between them at once and at every opportunity, simulating how the human player does it).

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Cadet

That's what I figured, actually, and checked the box for my new game today but haven't progressed far enough to be able to see that it now works as intended.

I also figured you know how you want the tech trading to function, so it's all good with me. This game I'm not charismatic, so no one has offered any research treaties yet. Often when I play 4x games, I let the other factions trade between themselves but do not trade with them myself as a handicap, so I can do that myself if need be, though as I say, so far this game I couldn't trade techs with them even if I wanted to because our relations aren't good enough.

I did see a few grammar mistakes, though I don't remember exactly where they are at the moment. I'll have to write them down the next time I see them and get back to you. But one of them is something about "...the people is...", when it should be "...the people are...", of course, if I remember correctly.

Oh, and I know Das isn't really keen on the faction leader graphics. I completely respect his opinion on everything strategy gaming, but I just want to let you know that I, personally, think the faction leader graphics are wonderful!

Thanks again, Adam. Awesome game!

• ThumbsUp ThumbsUp x 1
  4. Rafael Ramus

Rafael Ramus Cadet

I'm a roleplaying guy, so the only downside I see to the faction leader graphics is that, because of how they are animated, I don't think it would be reasonable to ask for loads of crazy different aliens to swap them with. I'd rather they were drawings - but loads of them - so I could create different civs to play against (that is to say, not that the animation is bad, but that I'd rather have more options even at the cost of some animation).

5. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Cadet

I think Das mentioned that aspect as well, and I do see your point. I just wanted to reassure Adam that the graphics they have are pretty cool in and of themselves though.