Tooltips problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JOM, Oct 24, 2019.

1. JOM

JOM Ensign

I HAVE A HARD TIME TO READ THOSE ALL-CAP-TOOLTIPS IN ISG. I WOULD WISH AN OPTION IN THE SETTINGS TO PUT ALL THE TOOLTIPS BACK TO NORMAL SCRIPT INSTEAD OF CAPS. THAT WOULD BE GREAT.

Thank you. :)

2. Adam Solo

Adam Solo Developer Administrator Grand Admiral

Usually, only the title and the effects or modifiers of a tooltip are displayed in all caps for simplification reasons since some things are lower case (e.g. names of technologies) while others are not. I also think it makes them standout more to be easily read. Text descriptions are, or should be, all in lower/normal case.

The tooltips in the ship design screen were all caps, for the weapon modifications, and even the text descriptions, for example. This was fixed and will be available in the 1.0.5 patch.

Apart from the ship design screen tooltips, Is there any other area of the game where you think the tooltips have too much "all caps" in them, that we may have overlooked? Thanks.

3. JOM

JOM Ensign

Well I would say, each tooltip with caps is not necessary. I also dont think that it makes the tip "stand out" or "better readable". En contraire. If whole sections of caps in tooltips would be so good and readable, more games or written elaborates would use it, IMO.

I am a professional graphics designer and I would not use them in my layouts for text passages except for title lines or when a customer explicetely has a "cap wish" (and he pays well. :)) But otherwise not. Caps which are mixed with normal script usually have the job to emphasize a certain point of view or a KEY WORD, like underlining, colored, or bold print does too. If this is true then it can maybe used for one single word or a few important words in a whole sentence, but not for whole text sections, like in ISG. Such a excessive usage of caps bypasses its usual function.

Eg. other 4x games like stellaris also use entensive tooltips, but you would never or not often find caps. I am sure the designers at paradox have learned one or two lessons in the past about good presentation of tooltips.

Thats the reason I would wish for a setting option to change the tooltip back to normal font for players like me.

Its not that I think that the content of your tooltips is bad or so, en contraire, it is top notch, very informative and generally good with all the colors and useful numbers and so on. I just dont like the extensive cap usage.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Adam Solo

Thanks for your detailed feedback. Frankly, all the reasons why we went with the caps in the modifier effects are a bit lost in time now. I suppose the idea was to separate the area that is description text from the effects. When the effects text is small it's not a problem. However, I concede that some effects' text is too long, causing the issue you report.

I'm going to take a note to see if making an option to use no caps anywhere in the tooltip body is feasible at this point. It's not a trivial matter I have to say, but I'll think about this when I find the time. Thanks.

5. JOM

JOM Ensign

I am sure its not trivial. You would have to change alot of tooltips for normal script instead of capital letters.

another suggestion would be to use more symbols for specific game terms which are repeated constantly. (eg the terms Leader, Production, Morale etc.) Therefore the user catches at the first glance to which specific "cathegory" he can sort in a message for example.

Or how about working more with colored bars or titles? So if a game message is about the demands of leaders it has a yellow bar. When it is about military it has red bar. When it is about science or artifacts the message title is blue etc.

6. Adam Solo

Yes, that could be a good enhancement. I added that suggestion to the big list.

I think there's some of that already, at least that was the idea initially, to have title colors reflect the type of message. However, at some point that may have been relaxed a bit due to some considerations and ease of implementation.